Heights , Measurement of. See Barometrical Measurement.
Heilbronn , a fortified town of Wurtemberg, on the right bank of the Neckar, 20 m. N. of Stuttgart, with which city it is connected by railway; pop. in 1871, 18,955. It has a gymnasium with a library of 12,000 volumes, and three Catholic and two Protestant churches, among which the church of St. Kilian is remarkable for the pure Gothic architecture of its choir and its beautiful tower, 220 ft. high. It stands on the site of a Roman station. In its vicinity is the castle in which Gotz von Berlichingen was imprisoned in 1525. Heil-bronn was a free imperial city until the beginning of the present century. In 1033 Oxen-stiern here concluded a treaty with the allies of Sweden for the continuation of the thirty years' war.
Heiligenstadt , a town of Prussia, in the province of Saxony, 47 m. N. W. of Erfurt, on the Leine; pop. in 1871, 4,882. The town is regularly built, and surrounded by walls, with three gates. It has a castle, a Protestant and two Catholic churches, a gymnasium, formerly a Jesuit college, a workhouse, a hospital, and an orphan asylum. The principal manufactures are of woollen yarns and wooden clocks; it has a considerable trade in cattle. In the neighborhood is the famous Calvarienberg. Heiligenstadt is said to have been built by Dagobert around the tomb of Bishop Aureus of Mentz, who was slain by the Thuringians; it was anciently the capital of the principality of Eichsfeld. It was destroyed by fire in 1333, and was captured in 1478 by Count Henry the younger of Schwarzburg, and in 1525 by Duke Henry of Brunswick. From 1807 to 1813 it belonged to the kingdom of Westphalia.
Heinrich Auerbach, a medical professor and senator in Leipsic, born in 1482, died in 1543. His real name was Stromer, but he adopted the name of his native town, Auerbach, in Bavaria, and in 1530 erected a large building in Grimma street, Leipsic, which is still known as the Auerbachshof. Auerbach was a friend of Luther, and when the discussions between the reformer and Eck took place at Leipsic, he offered to his friend the use of his house and table. A principal feature of the Auerbachshof is the cellar in which Luther drank, and out of which, according to popular tradition, Dr. Faust rode upon a barrel, an event illustrated by a painting which still decorates the subterranean walls.
Heinrich August Wrisberg, a German anatomist, born at Andreasberg, Hanover, June 20, 1739, died March 29, 1808. He graduated in medicine at Gottingen in 1763, became a professor, and taught midwifery and anatomy. His name is connected with the " cartilages of Wrisberg," or the "cuneiform cartilages," two small elongated bodies, included in the arytenoepiglottidean folds of mucous membrane in the larynx, first described by him, and with the "lesser internal cutaneous nerve," or "nerve of Wrisberg," a branch of the brachial plexus which is distributed to the integument of the inside of the arm above the elbow. He published treatises on respiration and animal heat, the anatomy of the embryo, the infusorial animalcules, the fifth pair of cranial nerves, the nerves of the abdominal viscera, the brachial nerves, the gravid uterus, Fallopian tubes, ovaries, and corpus luteum.