Hilaire Etienne Octave Rouille Boissy, marquis de, a French politician, born in Paris, March 4, 1798, died there, Sept. 26, 1866. He was a member of an ancient and opulent family, served as secretary of legation in London under Chateaubriand, and in 1839 entered the chamber of peers, where his continued altercations with its president, the duke de Pasquier, and his eccentric invectives, acquired for him much notoriety. His exposure of political scandals caused him to be invited to the political banquet in Paris which preceded the downfall of Louis Philippe; but by opposing the extreme revolutionists he lost his chance for an election to the constituent and legislative assemblies. In 1853 he became a member of the imperial senate, where he became conspicuous for his bitter and occasionally brilliant speeches, and his animosity against the ultra liberals of 1848. He married in 1851 Lord Byron's former mistress, the countess Guiccioli.
Hilarion , a saint of the church, born, according to St. Jerome, near Gaza about 291, died in the island of Cyprus in 371. He was the son of pagan parents, and was sent by them to Alexandria to be educated, where at the age of 15 he became a Christian. Return-ing to Palestine after the death of his parents, he embraced monasticism, gave away his property, and entered upon a life of austerity. He attracted to his retreat in the Syrian desert crowds of visitors. After the death of St. Anthony, he made with some of his monastic brethren a pilgrimage to the cell and tomb of the saint in Egypt. To escape as well the importunities of friends as the persecution of foes, he sailed for Cyprus, where he was soon discovered and joined by his disciple Hesychius. Hence he passed to the Dalmatian coast, and finally settled in Cyprus. A vast number of miracles are ascribed to him. His festival, which is kept on Oct. 21, was celebrated as early as the 5th century.
Hildburghausen ,.I. A former duchy of Germany, since 1826 united with Meiningen. (See Saxe-Meiningen-Hildburghausen.) II. A town, capital of the duchy, on the Werra, 20 m. S. E. of Meiningen; pop. in 1871, 5,148. It has a ducal castle, a gymnasium, an insane asylum, a normal school, and a deaf and dumb institution. The bibliographical institute of J. Meyer, which in 1828 was transferred hither from Gotha, is among the most prominent publishing houses of Germany. From 1695 to 1826 the town was the residence of the duke of Saxe-Hildburghausen.
Hildebrand ,.See Gregory VII.
Hill , a N. E. county of Texas, bounded W. by the Brazos river, and drained by small tributaries of that stream; area, 950 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,453, of whom 806 were colored. The W. part is heavily timbered, and the E. part consists of prairie; the soil is rich and the climate healthy. The chief productions in 1870 were 295,668 bushels of Indian corn, 76,818 lbs. of butter, and 3,407 bales of cotton. There were 7,632 horses, 5,816 milch cows, 1,008 working oxen, 26,863 other cattle, 3,045 sheep, and 10,619 swine. Capital, Hillsborough.