Hodeida, Or El-Hudaidah a seaport of Arabia, in Yemen, situated on the Red sea, about 100 m. N. N W. of Mocha. It is a well built town, having a number of mosques and a good market. Its harbor, which is shallow, is sheltered on the north, but exposed to the S. wind. It is frequently visited by the pilgrim ships from India, which, unable to beat up against the wind, transfer their passengers here to the lighter native vessels, five or six of which, of from 30 to 250 tons each, are built here annually of Malabar teak. A large part of the coffee raised in the district N. of Sana, which was formerly shipped from Mocha, is now sent to Hodeida for exportation. Hodeida is now the seat of the Turkish government of Yemen and of a pashalic under Jiddah, and a considerable garrison is stationed there.
Hof , (formerly Regnitzhof), a town of Bavaria, in the circle of Upper Franconia, on the Saale, near the N. E. boundary of the kingdom, 30 m. N. E. of Baireuth, and 150 m. N. by E. of Munich; pop. in 1871, 16,010. It has considerable manufactories of hosiery, woollen and cotton goods, and leather, and extensive breweries. It has a large transit trade, chiefly by railway. In 1823 it was almost entirely destroyed by fire.
Hofhuf , a city of Hasa, Arabia, near the Persian gulf, in lat. 25° 20' 56" N., Ion. 49° 40' 50" E.; pop. about 24,000. It was once strongly fortified, but its walls and towers are now little more than heaps of ruins. It is divided into three quarters or districts, which meet in a public square 300 yards in length by 75 in breadth. The Kot, the quarter in which resides the governor and his officials, is a vast citadel, surrounded by a deep trench, with massive walls and towers built of earth and stone. The great mosque is a building in the Moorish style, with arches and light porticos. Small enclosed gardens are attached to many of the houses, and tig and citron trees overhang the streets, but most of the orchards and plantations are without the walls. A general fair is held every Thursday, and one is held on Mondays at Mebarraz, a town of 20,000 inhabitants, 3 m. N. of Hofhuf.
Hofwyl ,.See Fellenberg.
Hogshead , an old English measure of capacity, which, not being mentioned in the act 5 George IV. relative to weights and measures, cannot now be considered as having any legal existence. The hogshead of wine was two wine barrels, or 63 old wine gallons, equal to 52 1/2 imperial gallons. The London hogshead of ale was 1 1/2 ale barrel, or 48 ale gallons, equivalent to 48.81814 imperial gallons. The London hogshead of beer was 1 1/2 beer barrel, or 54 beer gallons, equal to 54.92040 imperial gallons. The ale and beer hogshead for the rest of England was 1 1/2 barrel, or 51 gallons, or 51.86927 imperial gallons. All excise measurements are made in gallons, and the term hogshead now signifies only a large cask.