See Exgland, vol. vi., pp. 609-'11.
Howard Staunton, an English author, born in 1810, died in London, June 26, 1874. He was educated at Oxford, but left without taking a degree, and went to London. In 1843 he won a match in Paris over St. Amand, the chess champion, and subsequently conducted the chess column in the "Illustrated London News," and published "The Chess Player's Hand Book " (London, 1847; with supplement, " Chess Praxis," 1860); " Chess Player's Companion" and "Chess Player's Text Book" (1849); and "Chess Tournament" (1852). From 1857 to 1860 he was engaged in editing an edition of Shakespeare; in 1864 he brought out a facsimile of the folio of 1623, and published "Memorials of Shakespeare;" and in 1872 he contributed to the "Athenaeum" a series of papers on the "Unsuspected Corruptions of Shakespeare's Text." He also wrote "Great Schools of England" (8vo, 1865).
Howell, a S. county of Missouri, bordering on Arkansas, and drained by Spring river and affluents of the N. fork of the White; area, about 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,218, of whom 24 were colored. The surface is hilly, and the soil in the valleys fertile. There are large forests of pine. The chief productions in 1870 were 15,356 bushels of wheat, 115,728 of Indian corn, and 8,454 of oats. There were 1,132 horses, 3,201 cattle, 2,707 sheep, and 5,656 swine. Capital, West Plains.
See Artillery, vol. i., p. 786.
Hoxter, a town of Prussia, in the province of Westphalia, on the Weser, crossed here by a stone bridge, 28 m. E. N. E. of Paderborn; pop. in 1871, 5,041. It is a thriving manufacturing and commercial place, and paper, cotton goods, and linen are made. Hoxter was formerly the capital of the ecclesiastical principality of Korvei, and belonged to the Hanseatic league. It abounds with reminiscences of the battles of Charlemagne against the Saxons, and the watch tower on the neighboring Brunsberg is according to some traditions the relic of a formidable Saxon fortress built by Bruno, brother of Wittikind. The town endured many military vicissitudes during the 17th century.
Huallaga, a river of Peru, rising on the E. slope of the Eastern Cordillera, about lat. 10° S. and Ion. 75° 30' W., flowing N. W. parallel to that range as far as lat. 8°, where it curves to the N". E., and joining the Maranon or Upper Amazon at La Laguna, lat. 4° 50' S. and Ion. 75° 40' W., after a tortuous course of some 600 m., mainly through the Pampa de Sacramento, a region of which little is definitely known. For 60 m. from its mouth the Hua-llaga is navigable by the largest vessels; above that point rapids occur at intervals of about 50 m., but these do not impede the passage of canoes, especially in the upper portion of the river.