Hugh Williamson, an American physician, born in West Nottingham, Pa., Dec. 5, 1735, died in New York, May 22, 1819. He graduated at the university of Pennsylvania in 1757, was professor of mathematics there from 1760 to 1764, and afterward studied medicine at Edinburgh and Utrecht, and practised in Philadelphia. He went to London in 1773, and, being called before the privy council, warned it of the impolicy of its measures. He returned in 1776, after a time settled at Edenton, N. C, was a surgeon in the army, was several times elected to congress, and was a member of the convention that framed the federal constitution. In 1793 he removed to New York. He published "A Discourse on the Benefits of Civil History " (New York, 1810); " Observations on the Climate of America" (1811); and "History of North Carolina" (2 vols., 1812).
Hugo Van Der Goes, a Flemish painter, pupil and successor of Van Eyck, flourished in the second half of the 15th century. His paintings are all of religious subjects, and their chief excellence is the grace and dignity of the countenances. His masterpiece is a " Crucifixion" in the church of St. James at Bruges. This picture was preserved from the general destruction of church ornaments in the 16th century by being coated with dark clay on which the ten commandments were inscribed.
Humber, a river or estuary of England, separating the counties of York and Lincoln. It is principally formed by the junction of the Ouse and the Trent. Its course is nearly E. as far as Hull, and S. E. thence to where it falls into the North sea. It is about 40 m. in length, and varies in breadth from 2 to 7 m. The chief towns on its banks are Hull, Goole, and Great Grimsby. By means of its numerous tributaries it drains an area of 10,000 sq. m. It is navigable for the largest ships to Hull, 20 m. from the sea, and throughout for vessels of considerable burden.
Humphreys, a N. W. county of Tennessee, bounded E. by Tennessee river, and intersected near its S. border by Duck river, a tributary of the former stream; area, 375 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,326, of whom 1,295 were colored. The surface is moderately uneven, and the soil is fertile. The Nashville and Northwestern railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 27,783 bushels of wheat, 491,355 of Indian corn, 29,967 of oats, 62,766 of peas and beans, 18,502 of Irish and 17,829 of sweet potatoes, 113,177 lbs. of tobacco, and 107 bales of cotton. There were 1,971 horses, 914 mules and asses, 2,355 milch cows, 4,488 other cattle, 8,937 sheep, and 18,418 swine; 1 manufactory of woollen goods, 1 of ground bark, 2 saw mills, 6 tanneries, and 5 currying establishments. Capital, Waverley.
Humphrey Marshall, an American politician, born in Frankfort, Ky., Jan. 13, 1812, died in Louisville, March 28,1872. lie graduated at the military academy, West Point, in 1832, and entered the army as brevet third lieutenant of mounted rangers. After serving in the Black Hawk expedition, he resigned in 1833, and became a lawyer at Frankfort, and afterward at Louisville. He served in the Mexican war in 1846-'7, as colonel of the first Kentucky cavalry. In 1849 he was elected to congress, and in 1852 appointed commissioner to China, in 1855 he was again elected to congress. In the civil war he was a major general in the confederate army.