Ivry-La-Bataille, a village of France, in the department of Eure and on the river Eure, about 40 m. W. of Paris; pop. about 1,200. It contains the ruins of an ancient castle and renowned manufactories of wind instruments. It passed through many vicissitudes during the wars with England, and Dunois captured it in 1449 and destroyed the fortifications. It is most celebrated for the decisive victory gained on the adjoining plain by Henry IV., March 14, 1590, over the forces of the league under the duke of Mayenne. The obelisk on the site of the battle, pulled down in 1793, was restored by Napoleon in 1809.
Ivry-Sur-Seine, a village of France, on the left bank of the Seine, about a mile from the southern enceinte of Paris; pop. in 1866, 10,-199. It is pleasantly situated, contains a fine parish church, a terrace of an old palace, a renowned maison de sante for lunatics, and extensive wine vaults in natural caves cut in the rocks. There are many handsome villas around it. Vast quantities of wine bottles and many other articles are manufactured here. The fort of Ivry figured conspicuously during the siege of Paris in 1870-'71.
Izaak Da Costa, a Dutch poet, born in Amsterdam, Jan. 14, 1798, died in Leyden, April 28, 1860. He was a Portuguese Jew by descent, but in 1822, with his wife, became a Christian. He received the degree of doctor of laws at Leyden in 1818, and of philosophy in 1821, and eventually became one of the directors of the seminary of the free Scotch church. He was much benefited by the instruction and friendship of Bilderdijk, after whose death in 1831 he was regarded as the most eminent poet of Holland. His best poems are, Prometheus (1820), Po'ezij (2 vols., 1821-'2), God met ons (1826), Festhederen (1828), Vijf en twintig jaren (1840), Hagar (1852), and De slag von Nieuiopoort (1857). Among his other works are: "History of the Deliveries of the People of Israel" (1840), which has been translated into English and German; "Apologetic Biography of St. Paul" (2 vols., 1846); and a complete edition of Bilderdijk's poetry (16 vols., Haarlem, 1857-60).
Izabal, a seaport of Guatemala, in the department and 123 m. 1ST. E. of the city of Guatemala, on the S. shore of Lake Dulce; pop. about 600. It is a miserable place of about 150 houses, and owes its importance to its being the sole Atlantic port for the trade of the capital. The water being very shallow on the bar at the mouth of the river leading from the gulf to the sea, only vessels of light draught can go up to the town. Large vessels go to Balize, and the merchandise is transmitted by coasting craft to Izabal.
Izard, a N. county of Arkansas, drained by White river, which is here navigable; area, 864 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,806, of whom 182 were colored. It has an uneven surface and a fertile soil. The chief productions in 1870 were 20,076 bushels of wheat, 303,242 of Indian corn, 17,358 of oats, 11,107 of Irish potatoes, 13,435 of sweet potatoes, 24,975 lbs. of tobacco, 92,686 of butter, 10,496 gallons of molasses, and 1,568 bales of cotton. There were 2,293 horses, 2,501 milch cows, 1,392 working oxen, 3,281 other cattle, 4,413 sheep, and 17,276 swine. Capital, Mount Olive.