James Walker, an American clergyman, president of Harvard college, born in Burlington, Mass., then a part of Woburn, Aug. 16, 1794, died in Cambridge, Dec. 23, 1874. He graduated at Harvard college in 1814, studied theology in Cambridge, and from 1818 to 1839 was pastor of the Unitarian church in Charlestown. From 1831 to 1839 he was editor of the "Christian Examiner." He became Alford professor of moral and intellectual philosophy in Harvard college in 1839, and was president of the college from 1853 to 1860. He edited works by Reid and Stewart for the use of college students, and published a volume of sermons preached in the chapel of Harvard college (1861), "Memoir of D. Appleton White" (1863), and a "Memoir of Josiah Quincy " (1867). A volume of his posthumous discourses was published in 1876. He left his valuable library and $15,000 in money to Harvard college.
James Ward, an English painter, born in London, Oct. 23, 1769, died at Kensington, Nov. 16, 1859. He learned engraving, but devoted himself to painting, and so exactly imitated Morland that his pictures were often sold as Morlands. His most admired work is the "Alderney Bull, Cow, and Calf," in the national gallery. He became an academician in 1811, and painted until after his 80th year.
James Wyatt, an English architect, born in Staffordshire, Aug. 3, 1746, accidentally killed near Marlborough, Sept. 5, 1813. He studied architecture in Rome and Venice, brought himself into notice by his designs for the Pantheon, in Oxford street, London, for many years a fashionable rendezvous, and received commissions for private residences in all parts of the kingdom. He was one of the first to attempt the revival of Gothic architecture, and for many years he was unrivalled as the restorer of ancient English architecture. His most famous work in this style was Fonthill abbey, erected for Beckford. He was surveyor general subsequent to 1796, and in 1802'3 was president of the royal academy. - His nephew, Sir Jeffrey Wyatville (born in Burton-on-Trent, Aug. 3, 1766, died in Windsor, Feb. 18, 1840), designed and superintended the alterations in Windsor castle, commenced in 1824. His name was changed from Wyatt on his being knighted in 1828.
Jan Aseelvyn, a landscape painter, born in 1610, died in Amsterdam in 1660. He studied under Jan Miel and Isaiah Vandervelde at Antwerp, and under Peter van Laer (Bamboc-cio) at Rome. In his landscapes taken from the vicinity of Rome, which are enriched with ruins of edifices, and decorated with figures and cattle in the style of Berghem, he imitates the manner of Claude Lorraine. He also painted battle pieces of considerable merit. He was surnamed Krabbetjie (little crab, crab-like) by the Dutch artists at Rome, on account of a contraction in his fingers.
Jan Boncza Skrzynecki, a Polish soldier, born in Galicia in February, 1786, died in Cracow, Jan. 12, 1860. His military career began in 1806, and he distinguished himself in the Napoleonic wars, and after the Polish revolution of 1830 as brigadier general, especially at Dobre, Wawer, and Grochow (February and March, 1831). He then succeeded Rad-ziwill as commander-in-chief; but waiting in vain for assistance from foreign powers, he failed to follow up his great advantages, and lost the battle of Ostrolenka, May 26. On Aug. 10 he was deposed, and after the fall of Warsaw (Sept. 8) he fled to Austria and next to Belgium. In the latter country he was appointed to a high command in the army, which however, owing to the protests of the eastern powers and the peace of 1839 with Holland, was of short duration. He remained in Brussels until shortly before his death, when he was permitted to return to Poland.