Kazimierz Brodzinski, a Polish soldier and poet, born at Kro1owko in 1791, died in Dresden, Oct. 10,1835. In 1809 he entered the military service of his country, and fought against the Austrians; in 1812 he participated in Napoleon's Russian campaign, and in 1813 in the campaign in Germany, until he was taken prisoner at the battle of Leipsic. When the university of Warsaw was established, he. became professor of cesthetics and literature. He was the first who attempted to reinvigorate Polish poetry from the national sources, instead of imitating Latin and French models. He also translated many of Scott's novels into Polish, in 10 vols. His complete works were published in 1842-'4.
Kearney, a S. county of Nebraska, bounded N. by the Platte river; area, about 525 sq. in.; pop. in 1870, 58. A large portion is occupied by prairies. The Burlington and Missouri River railroad traverses it. Capital, Fort Kearney.
Kecskemet, Or Ketskcmet, a city of Hungary, in the county and 50 m. S. E. of the city of Pesth, on the railway to Szegedin; ' pop. in 1870, 41,195. It contains churches for the Roman Catholics, Protestants, and Greeks, a synagogue, a Catholic gymnasium, a Reformed lyceum, and various other educational institutions. It has soap manufactories and tanneries, a lively trade in horses and cattle, and five annual fairs.
Keff, Or El-Keff, a town of north Africa, in the regency and 88 m. S. W. of the city of Tunis; pop. about 6,000. It is the key of Tunis on the Algerian frontier, from which it is distant 27 m. It is built on an elevated plateau, and is surrounded by mountains and by forests of cedar and chestnut. The walls are kept in good repair, and the fortress mounts more than 130 cannon. The inhabitants include many warlike and occasionally troublesome mountaineers. The adjacent country is very fertile, and the scenery is beautiful. Keff possesses a Roman well and a statue of Venus. Inscriptions from here led to the supposition that it occupies the site of Sicca Veneria, a Numidian town, originally Phoenician, subsequently a Roman colony.
Keighley, a town of England, on the Aire, and in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the Liverpool and Leeds canal and the Preston and Leeds railway, 15 m. W. N. W. of Leeds; pop. in 1871, 15,965. It has a Latin school, a mechanics' institute, and manufactories of paper, linen, woollen, and cotton goods.
Kelat, the capital city of Beloochistan, and of a province of its own name, situated on the declivity of a hill called Shah Mirdan, about 6,000 ft, above the sea, 195 m. S. byE. of Can-dahar; pop. about 12,000. It is surrounded by an earth wall 18 ft. high, flanked with bastions. In the vicinity is a district that produces large quantities of fruit. A number of Afghan merchants reside at Kelat, and carry on a considerable trade with Sinde, Bombay, and Canda-har. The chief manufactures are muskets, swords, and spears. Kelat was captured by the British in 1839, and again in 1840, and was evacuated by them in 1841.