Kermanshah, a town of Persia, capital of a district of the same name in the province of Irak-Ajemi, on the S. W. declivity of a mountain range, 80 m. W. S. W. of Hamadan; pop. about 25,000. It is situated at the edge of a fine plain watered by three considerable streams, which on their junction further south take the name of Kerkha or Kara-su, and discharge into the Shat-el-Arab, N. of Bassorah. It is surrounded by an earthen wall nearly 3 m. in circumference, and is said to be a flourishing town. In the neighborhood are the rock inscriptions of Behistun. (See Cuneiform Inscriptions.) The celebrated Persian carpets are manufactured here.
Kern, a S. county of California; area, 8,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,925, including 143 Chinese. It is mostly devoted to grazing. The agricultural and mineral resources are little developed. Some parts are very fertile, but the greater portion is dry and unproductive. It contains the S. terminus of the great valley of California, the junction of the Coast range and Sierra Nevada mountains, and a portion of the desert region E. of the latter. It is watered by several streams, and Kern lake is in the W. part. The chief productions in 1870 were 13,700 bushels of wheat, 3,575 of Indian corn, 26,270 of barley, 6,050 of potatoes, 1,643 tons of hay, and 281,100 lbs. of wool. There were 1,685 horses, 6,373 cattle, 90,200 sheep, and 753 swine; 2 flour mills, 4 saw mills, and 3 quartz mills. Capital, Havilah.
Kerr, a S. W. county of Texas, watered by Guadalupe and Medina rivers; area, 818 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,042, of whom 90 were colored. The surface is diversified, and much of the soil of superior quality. The chief productions in 1870 were 45 781 bushels of Indian corn, 10,963 lbs. of wool, 19,095 of butter, and 236 tons of hay. There were 486 horses, 2,511 milch cows, 10,128 other cattle, 4,848 sheep, and 2,620 swine. Capital, Kerrsville.
Kershaw, a N. county of South Carolina, drained by Wateree river; area, 776 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,754, of whom 7,945 were colored. It has a hilly surface. The soil of the uplands is sandy, but susceptible of profitable cultivation, and the river bottoms are remarkably fertile. The Camden branch of the South Carolina railroad terminates at the county seat. The chief productions in 1870 were 6,389 bushels of wheat, 108,420 of Indian corn, 11,161 of peas and beans, 16,595 of sweet potatoes, 4,161 bales of cotton, and 30,530 lbs. of rice. There were 501 horses, 651 mules and asses, 1,432 milch cows, 2,214 other cattle, 1,247 sheep, and 4,224 swine. Capital, Camden.
Keswick, a market town of Cumberland, England, on the S. bank of the Greta, 22 m. S. S. W. of Carlisle; pop. in 1871, 2,777. It is well built, contains two museums, chiefly of minerals, and has manufactures of linsey-woolsey stuffs, cutlery, and black-lead pencils. Lying within one mile of the foot of Skiddaw and half a mile from Derwentwater, it is much resorted to by tourists, for whose accommodation there are several hotels. The vale of Keswick is renowned for its picturesque scenery, in respect to which it is surpassed by few spots in England. Greta Hall, formerly the residence of Southey, is near the town.