Kienchow, Or Kinngchow, a city of China, capital of the island of Hainan, off the S. coast of the province of Kwangtung, on a narrow spit of land between a river and a bay; pop. about 200,000. There is a considerable coasting trade with Canton and Macao. Kienchow is one of the ports open to foreigners, though there is not as yet any English settlement. The rocky coast is infested by pirates and wreckers, in consequence of the numerous casualties, but the inhabitants generally treat the shipwrecked people with kindness.
Kildare, an inland county of Ireland, in the province of Leihster, bordering on Meath, Dublin, Wicklow, Carlow, Queen's, and King's counties; area, 654 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 84,198. The surface is flat or undulating, and, with the exception of the bogs, has a fertile clayey soil. Farms are less subdivided in this county than in most others. Kildare has a considerable export of grain and flour by means of the river Barrow and the Royal and Grand canals and their branches. The rivers Liffey and Boyne also traverse a portion of the county, and two railways intersect it. Cotton and woollen fabrics and paper are manufactured to a limited extent. Near the centre of the county is a plain of 4,858 acres, the property of the government, and called the Curragh of Kildare, used for military camps of exercise, and having on it one of the best race courses in the kingdom. The principal towns are Naas, the capital, Athy, and Kildare.
Kilimanjaro (properly Kilima Njaro, snow mountain), the highest known mountain in Africa, situated in the Jagga country, on the border of Zanguebar, about 180 m. from the coast, in lat. 3° 40' S., lon. 36° E. It is crowned with perpetual snow, and its summit is 20,065 ft. above the level of the sea. It was discovered in 1848 by Rebmann.
Kilmarnock, a parliamentary and municipal borough of Ayrshire, Scotland, 12 m. N. N. E. of Ayr, 20 m. S. W. of Glasgow, and 8 m. from the seaport of Troon, with all of which it is connected by railway; pop. in 1871, 22,952. The town possesses some handsome public buildings, 18 churches, an academy, several public libraries, a picture gallery, a mechanics' institute, etc. It is famed for the manufacture of woollen shawls, carpets, worsted goods, gauzes, muslins, hosiery, and shoes.
Kilwa, Or Quiloa, a town of E. Africa, on an island off the coast of Zanguebar, in lat. 8° 57' S., lon. 39° 37' E.; pop. about 7,000. It is tributary to the sultan of Zanzibar, and has much declined in importance and population since its devastation by the Portuguese early in the 16th century. It is now chiefly known as one of the principal ports for the exportation of slaves; nearly 100,000 were sent in the five years 1862-'7 to Zanzibar and other places, and about 15,000 were exported in the year ending August, 1869. These statistics were submitted at a public meeting held in London, June 5, 1874, for the suppression of the slave trade in accordance with Sir Bartle Frere's negotiations in 1873 with the sultan of Zanzibar. The name Kilwa is also applied to the island and to other adjacent localities, and the surrounding region is watered by many important rivers and noted for its unhealthy character.