See Hungary, vol. ix., p. 56.
See Hungary, vol. ix., p. 55.
See Hebrews, vol. viii., p. 587.
See Bathori, and Poland, vol. xiii., p. 64G.
King William, an E. county of Virginia, bounded 1ST. E. by Mattapony river and S. W. by the Pamunkey; area, 270 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,515, of whom 4,455 were colored. It has a rolling surface and a good soil. The Richmond and York River railroad passes through the S. E. part. The chief productions in 1870 were 68,256 bushels of wheat, 236,530 of Indian corn, 33,030 of oats, 17,045 of Irish and 8,309 of sweet potatoes, 28,850 lbs. of tobacco, and 37,095 of butter. There were 805 horses, 2,679 cattle, 1,083 sheep, and 3,856 swine; 6 flour mills, and 2 saw mills. Capital, King William Court House.
Kingdom Of Ava. See Burmah.
Kingston-Upon-Thames, a municipal borough, town, and parish of Surrey, England, on the E. bank of the Thames, at the mouth of the Ewell, 8 m. W. S. W. of London; pop. of the borough in 1871, 15,257. It extends about 1 1/2, m. along the river, is irregularly built, and contains several interesting edifices, among which are an ancient cruciform church and a handsome town hall. In 1872 there were 18 places of worship, of which 8 belonged to the church of England. There are several endowed schools. A Roman town or station was built on the site now occupied by Kingston, and various traces of it, such as coins and other antiquities, have been brought to light, A great ecclesiastical council was held here by Egbert in 838, and many Saxon kings were crowned here.
Kingstown, a seaport and watering place of Ireland, in the county and 7 m. by railway S. E. of the city of Dublin, on Dublin bay; pop. in 1871, 16,387. It possesses, in the words of the tidal commissioners' official report, "one of the most splendid artificial ports in the United Kingdom." The harbor of ref-uge, begun in 1816, from designs by Rennie, consists of two piers and a breakwater, the E. pier being 3,500 ft. long, and the W. 4,950 ft., with an entrance 850 ft. wide, and enclosing an area of 250 acres, with a depth of water of from 15 to 27 ft.; it cost £750,000. A revolving light marks the entrance, lat. 53° 18' N., lon. 6° 8' W. Kingstown is the mail packet station for communication with Dublin and Holyhead. Over 2,000 ships enter and leave the harbor annually.