Koh-I-Noor

See Diamond, vol. vi., p. 75.

Kokomo

Kokomo, a town and the county seat of Howard co., Indiana, situated on Wild Cat creek, an affluent of the Wabash, and at the intersection of the Indianapolis, Peru, and Chicago with the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis railroad, 50 m. N. of Indianapolis; pop. in 1870, 2,177. It contains a number of manufactories, a national bank, and three weekly newspapers. It is the seat of Howard college, organized in 1869, which in 1872 had 5 professors and instructors, and 69 students.

Kola

Kola, a town of Russia, capital of the circle of Kem, in the government and about 360 m. N. W. of the city of Archangel, in the N. W. part of the peninsula of Kola, and at the confluence of the rivers Kola and Tuloma, 36 m. from the Arctic ocean; lat. 68° 50' N., lon. 33° 15' E.; pop. in 1867, 1,062, including Lapps and a few Finns. It is noticeable as the most northern town of European Russia, and the former capital of the old Russian Lap-landish territory. It has a good harbor, and contains three churches and a school. It was bombarded by the allies during the eastern war, Aug. 23, 1854.

Kolapoor

Kolapoor, a native state of the Deccan, India, under the political management of the presidency of Bombay, bounded N. and N. E. by Sattara, E. and S. by Belgaum, and W. by Sawunt Warree and Rutnagherry; area, 3,500 sq. m.; pop. about 500,000. It is traversed by the Ghaut mountains, and by the Kistnah and other rivers. The soil is exceedingly fertile, despite the ruggedness of the country. The principal races are the Mahrattas and Ramooses. The rajahs of Kolapoor boast of their descent from the founder of the Mahratta empire; but their authority has become within the last 30 years only nominal, the English being the actual rulers. - Kolapoor, the capital, 185 m. S. E. of Bombay, long notorious for its unhealthy condition, has been lately improved.

Kolberg

See Colberg.

Kolding

Kolding, a town of Jutland, Denmark, on the Koldingfiord (a large bay of the Little Belt), and on the railway from Flensburg to Fri-dericia, about 10 m. W. S. W. of the latter town; pop. in 1870, 5,400. It contains the fine remains of Koldinghuus, a castle built in the 13th century as a royal residence, and burned in 1808. Here the Schleswig-Holstein troops defeated the Danes, and stormed the town, April 23, 1849. About 7 m. from Kolding is the hill of Samlingsbanke, formerly included in Schles-wig, where immense meetings were held prior to 1848 to protest against the separation from Denmark. The obelisk on this spot was pulled down by the Germans in 1864; but it was restored by the Danes, who by the boundary treaty retained possession of the locality.

Kolin, Or Kollin

Kolin, Or Kollin, a town of Bohemia, on the Elbe, 35 m. E. of Prague, on the railway from Vienna; pop. in 1870, 9,460. It consists of the city proper, which is surrounded by a wall, and four suburbs. It has a Gothic church, an old castle with fine grounds, a convent founded in 1666, a council house, and several factories. An obelisk was erected here in 1842 in honor of a victory gained June 18, 1757, by the Austrians over Frederick the Great. An inn is still in existence which was in the centre of Frederick's position, and from the windows of which he commanded his army.