La Granja, Or San Ildefonso, a small town of Spain, in the province of Segovia, 34 m. N. N.W. of Madrid, renowned for its romantic situation on the N. declivity of the Sierra Guadarrama, and for a fine palace built by Philip V. (1721-'7) at an elevation of nearly 4,000 ft., with pleasure grounds, in imitation of Versailles. One of the fountains (fuente de la fama) rises 150 ft. The royal family resided here in summer, and here Maria Christina was surprised in the night of Aug. 13, 1836, by a number of exalta-dos, who had bribed her guards, and who obliged her to agree to restore the constitution of 1812, whence the name of " revolution of La Gran-ja." Philip V. and his queen are buried in the church of the town. A manufactory after the model of Sevres has been established here, but with little success. In the vicinity are various villas and parks which belong to the royal family.
See Cape la Hague.
La Mancha, an old province of Spain, chiefly in the S. part of New Castile, now included in the central and eastern portions of Ciudad Real, and the adjoining parts of Cuenca and Albacete; area, about 7,000 sq. m.; pop. about 200,000. The N. W. and S. E. portions are mountainous, and the centre in general a desolate sandy plateau. The towns are few and uninteresting; the cottages in the villages are built of mud. Most of the country is denuded of trees, exposed to the wintry blasts, and scorched by the summer heat. The earth is arid and stony; the dust is impregnated with saltpetre, and the glare of the sun almost blinds the eye. Water is wanting, and dry dung is used for fuel. In some places, however, corn, saffron, and wines are produced; and the mules of La Mancha are celebrated. The natives are jovial, honest, industrious, brave, and temperate. The scenery has become celebrated by the descriptions in " Don Quixote".
La Orange, a N. E. county of Indiana, bordering on Michigan, and drained by Pigeon river; area, 384 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,148. It has a nearly level surface, much of which is occupied by timber. The soil is fertile. The Grand Rapids and Indiana railroad passes through the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 445,731 bushels of wheat, 344,882 of Indian corn, 58,488 of oats, 119,563 of potatoes, 120,461 lbs. of wool, 243,649 of butter, and 18,139 tons of hay. There were 5,217 horses, 4,211 milch cows, 5,072 other cattle, 31,958 sheep, and 12,004 swine; 4 manufactories of carriages, 1 of woollen goods, 6 flour mills, 17 saw mills, and 3 currying establishments. Capital, La Grange.
See La Perottse.
La Plata, a S. W. county of Colorado, formed in 1874 from portions of Conejos, Lake, and Saguache counties; area, about 7,000 sq. m. It borders on Utah and New Mexico, and is watered in the north by the Rio Dolores and the Rio San Miguel, and by the Uncompahgre river, a tributary of the Gunnison. In the south it is drained by the Mancos, La Plata, Las Animas, and Los Pinos, tributaries of the San Juan. The Rio Grande rises in the E. part. The county contains the Sierra San Miguel mountains, and is traversed from S. W. to N. E. by the Sierra La Plata range. A strip 20 m. wide along the Utah border, and 15 m. wide along the New Mexico border, is occupied by the Ute Indian reservation. Valuable gold mines have recently been discovered in this county, and large numbers of miners are resorting thither. Capital, Howardsville.
See Aegentine Republic.
See Argentine Republic.