La Rochelle, a fortified town of France, capital of the department of Charente-Infé-rieure, situated on the bay of Biscay, opposite the island of Ré, 245 m. S. W. of Paris; pop. in 1872, 19,506. Among the principal buildings are the cathedral, hôtel de ville, and exchange. The place d'armes is considered one of the finest squares in France. Ship building is carried on, and pottery, glass, and cotton goods are manufactured. La Rochelle fell into the hands of the Huguenots in 1557, and was gallantly defended in 1573, when a favorable peace was extorted from the Catholics; it continued an important centre of the Protestants till 1628, when, feebly supported by England, they surrendered it after a most obstinate siege of 14 months. The mole is still visible that was constructed by Richelieu to close the harbor on this occasion. Vauban afterward built extensive fortifications.
La Rue, a central county of Kentucky, drained by Rolling fork of Salt river; area, 182 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,235, of whom 965 were colored. It has a rolling surface and a good soil. The Louisville and Nashville railroad skirts the S. W. border, and the Knoxville branch passes through the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 61,537 bushels of wheat, 314,424 of Indian corn, 70,807 of oats, 368,-100 lbs. of tobacco, and 110,964 of butter. There were 3,046 horses, 1,783 milch cows, 2,850 other cattle, 9,064 sheep, and 19,670 swine; 4 distilleries, 4 flour mills, and 3 saw mills. Capital, Hodgenville.
La Union, a seaport town of San Salvador, on the S. W. shore of the subordinate bay of its own name, forming a part of the bay of Fonseca, 100 m. E. by S. of San Salvador city; pop. about 2,000. The situation of the town, in front of the volcano of Conchagua, renders it an extremely hot and unhealthy place. It is nevertheless one of the principal ports of the republic. The aggregate tonnage of the shipping is about 35,000 annually. A railroad to connect La Union with San Miguel was reported in active progress in 1873.
Laaland, an island in the Baltic belonging to Denmark, lying between lat. 54° 38' and 54° 58' N, and lon. 10° 58' and 11° 53' E.; greatest length 37 m., greatest breadth 17 m.; area, 460 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 62,000. Together with Falster and several small islands, it forms the district of Maribo (area, 640 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 90,706). The surface of Laaland is low, level, and mostly marshy. The water is bad, and the climate unhealthy; but the soil is fertile, and yields good crops of corn, beans, hops, and hemp. There is a lake called Maribo near the centre of the island, which is almost 5 m. in length. There are five towns: Maribo, the capital, Nakskov, Nysted, Rodby, and Saxkiobing.
Labette, a S. E. county of Kansas, bordering on Indian territory; area, 624 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,973. It is drained by the Neosho river and affluents of the Verdigris. The Missouri, Kansas, and Texas railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 28,-514 bushels of wheat, 128,543 of Indian corn, 32,489 of oats, 13,484 of potatoes, 69,218 lbs. of butter, and 5,956 tons of hay. There were 2,644 horses, 2,538 milch cows, 1,990 working oxen, 5,413 other cattle, 2,910 sheep, and 2,540 swine; 3 manufactories of furniture, 4 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, and 8 saw mills. Capital, Oswego.