Milford, a town of Worcester co., Massachusetts, on the Milford branch of the Boston and Albany, and on the Milford and Woon-socket and the Hopkinton railroads, 30 m. S. W. of Boston; pop. in 1870, 9,890. It is one of the largest boot manufacturing towns in New England, and contains machine shops and other manufactories, a national and a savings bank, a weekly newspaper, and six churches.
See Cow Tree.
Millard, a W. county of Utah, bordering on Nevada; area, 6,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,753. It contains Sevier lake, and is intersected by Sevier river. The W. part is mostly unexplored. The settlements are in the E. part, in the valleys along the W. base of the Wasatch mountains. Valuable minerals are supposed to exist. The chief productions in 1870 were 29,267 bushels of wheat, 6,853 of Indian corn, 9,714 of potatoes, 4,038 lbs. of wool, 23,437 of butter, 14,325 of cheese, and 909 tons of hay. There were 1,555 horses, 2,041 milch cows, 2,915 other cattle, 3,722 sheep, and 151 swine. Capital, Fillmore City.
Millaud, Or Milhan Millau, a town of Lan-guedoc, France, in the department of Aveyron, on the Tarn, 85 m. N. E. of Toulouse; pop. in 1866, 13,663. It has a communal college and a chamber of commerce. The chief manufactures are woollen cloth, leather, gloves, and silk twist. A brisk trade is carried on in timber, cattle, wool, wine, and other agricultural products. In the religious wars of France the town became famous as one of the strongholds of the Huguenots, and in 1629 its ancient castle and the walls were demolished by Louis XIII.
Mille Lacs, an E. central county of Minnesota, drained by Rum river, and containing the S. portion of Lake Mille Lacs; area, 684 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,109. The surface consists of rolling prairies, with timbered bottom lands along the streams. The chief productions in 1870 were 7,920 bushels of wheat, 9,572 of Indian corn, 9,131 of oats, 5,163 of potatoes, 22,667 lbs. of butter, and 1,917 tons of hay. Value of live stock, $33,869. There were 2 saw mills and 1 flour mill. Capital, Princeton.
Milledgeville, a town and the county seat of Baldwin co., Georgia, and formerly capital of the state, on the W. bank of the Oconee river, at the intersection of the Macon and Augusta and the Milledgeville and Eatonton railroads, 85 m. S. E. of Atlanta, and 145 m. W. N. W. of Savannah; pop. in 1870, 2,750, of whom 1,547 were colored. It is surrounded' by a beautiful and fertile cotton region, and contains several handsome residences. The governor's mansion and the state house are in good preservation, and are still the property of the state. Two weekly newspapers are published. It is the seat of the state lunatic asylum and of the state penitentiary. Milledgeville was entered by the forces of Gen. Sherman on Nov. 23, 1864, who burned the magazines, penitentiary, arsenals, depot buildings, bridges, and about 1,700 bales of cotton. The capital was removed to Atlanta in 1868.