Momotombo, the loftiest volcano in the republic of Nicaragua, 7,200 ft. high, standing at the head of Lake Managua, 25 m. E. byN. of the city of Leon. It sends out constantly a light plume of smoke, and occasional showers of tine ashes. The upper 3,000 ft. of its elevation seems to be made up of ashes and scoria3. A tradition that the early priests who undertook to plant the cross on its summit were never afterward heard of, is the subject of a poem in La leaende des riecles, by Victor lluiro. There are hot springs at its base, and a number of orifices or vents (infiernillos) on its lianks. It is a prominent landmark from the sea, and constitutes one extremity of the volcanic range of the Marrabios, which terminates in the high cone of El Viejo.
Momus, in Greek mythology, the god of mockery and censure, said to have been a son of Night. Having been chosen by Neptune, Minerva, and Vulcan to decide on the merits of their respective works, he censured them all, in consequence of which he was expelled from heaven. He is generally represented raising a mask from his face, and holding a small image in his hand.
Monastir, Or Bitolia, a town of European Turkey, in the vilayet and 80 in. W. N W of Salonica; pop. about 35,000, chiefly Greeks and Bulgarians. It is situated in the valley of a tributary of the Vardar, 1,700 ft. above the sea and surounded by lofty mountains. The town contains many mosques and a line bazaar with thousands of shops. It has in recent times considerably increased in importance as a great military and commercial centre. Large quantities of manufactured goods are imported from Salonica, Constantinople, Belgrade, Trieste, Vienna, and other places, and exported to the interior. A Turkish governor and a Greek metropolitan bishop reside here; the diocese is still called Pelagonia, the ancient Greek name of the district.
Moncr, an electoral district of Ontario, Canada, in the S. part of the province, bordering on Lake Erie; area, 373 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 16,179, of whom 5,758 were of German, 5,046 of English, 3,080 of Irish, and 1,570 of Scotch origin or descent. It comprises parts of the counties of Haldimand, Lincoln, and Welland, and is traversed by the Grand Trunk, Canada Southern, and Great Western railways.
Moncton, a town and port of entry of Westmoreland co., New Brunswick, Canada, at the head of navigation on the Petitcodiac river, and on the Intercolonial railway, 89 m. N. E of St. John; pop. in 1871, 4,810. It is beautifully situated and has a fine harbor. The number of vessels cleared during the year ending June 30, 1873, was 17, of 1,563 tons; entered, 16, of 1,357 tons; value of exports, $15,321; imports, $108,037. The town contains the general offices and principal workshops of the railway, and has manufactories of iron castings, steam engines, machinery, tobacco, leather, wooden ware, etc, two branch banks, several hotels, a weekly newspaper, a telegraph office, and four churches.