Montagie, a N. county of Texas, separated from Indian territory by Red river; area, 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 890, of whom 24 were colored. There are some good bottom lands on Red river. The chief productions in 1870 were 2,473 bushels of wheat, 41,715 of Indian corn, 4,933 of oats, and 21,200 lbs. of butter. There were 383 horses, 687 milch cows, 10,182 other cattle, and 5,093 swine.
Montbeliard, Or Monbeliard (Ger. Mompel-gard), a town of Franche-Comte, France, in the department of Doubs, at the confluence of the Allan and the Lusine. on the Phone and Rhine canal, 43 m. N. E. of Besancon; pop. in 1866, 6,479, most of whom are Lutherans. It has a chamber of industry and agriculture, a Protestant normal school, a communal college, a library of 9,000 volumes, and other educational and benevolent institutions. The principal manufactures are woollen and linen fabrics and muslins. It was formerly the capital of a county in Burgundy, which after the extinction of the male line of counts in 1395 passed by marriage to the house of Wtirtemberg, though at the same time it was under the suzerainty of France; and it was wholly ceded to France in 1801.
Montbrison, a town of France, in the department of Loire, on the Vizezy, an affluent of the Loire, 37 m. S. W. of Lyons; pop. in 1866, 6,475. The most notable building is the principal church, Notre Dame de l'Esperance, built from 1223 to 1466. Its industry and trade are of no great importance. It was formerly the capital of the department.
Monte Cassino. See Casino.
Montebello, a small village of Italy, on the road from Alessandria and Voghera to Pia-cenza, about 4 m. E. of Voghera. It was the scene of a victory of the French under Lannes over the imperialists, June 9, 1800, five days before the battle of Marengo, and of an engagement between the French and Sardinian aihes and the Austrians, May 20, 1859, in which, with a loss of about 650, the allies defeated the Austrians, who lost about 1,000 killed and wounded and 200 prisoners.
Monteldiart, a town of France, in the department of Drome, 83 m. S. of Lyons; pop. in 1866, 11,100. It has a citadel, six churches, a communal college, manufactories of figured silk, and an extensive trade in wine and fruits. Here the doctrines of Calvin found the first adherents in France. In 1569 the place was unsuccessfully besieged by Coligni.
Montferrat (Ital. Monferrato), a territory of Italy, formerly an independent duchy, bounded N. and W. by Piedmont, S. by Genoa, and E. by Milan. It was separated by a strip of Milanese territory into the divisions of Casale on the north and Acqui on the south, Casale being the capital. It often changed masters, and for more than a century was in the hands of the dukes of Mantua; but in 1703 it was bestowed by the emperor Leopold I. upon the duke of Savoy, a possession of whose house it has since remained. The territory is now divided among the provinces of Alessandria, Genoa, Coni, Turin, and Novara. The family of Montferrat was of remote origin, and very conspicuous in the middle ages.