Narcotics (Gr., torpor), substances which when taken into the blood affect all parts of the nervous system, but especially the higher nervous centres, in the direction of paralysis. A primary stage of stimulation sometimes precedes the true narcotic effect, but much of what is called stimulation, as for instance the noisiness or restlessness of alcohol, is in reality the beginning of narcotism, being due to a gradual removal of the restraints imposed by the higher faculties, by custom, or by timidity, upon the lower impulses. In the later stages of narcotism the faculties of sensation, of voluntary and reflex motion, are abolished, and death may result from paralysis of the centres that govern the circulation and respiration. Familiar examples of this class of drugs are opium, alcohol, and chloroform. The symptoms of narcotism manifested by special drugs are described under the titles of those drugs, and to them the reader is referred.
Naro, a town of Sicily, in the province and 12 m. E. of the city of Girgenti, on the river Naro; pop. about 11,000. It is of Saracenic origin, and renowned for its picturesque situation, and has a feudal castle bearing the arms of the Chiaromonte family. It contains several churches and other buildings of great antiquity, and has an active trade in sulphur, wine, and oil.
Narragaxsett Bay, on the S. E. coast of Rhode Island, extends from Point Judith on the W. to Seconnet on the E., and N. to Bullock's Point, 6 m. below Providence; it is 28 m. long by from 3 to 12 m. wide. It receives the Pawtuxet, Providence, Pawtucket, and Taunton rivers, and contains a number of islands, the principal of which are Rhode island, Canonicut, and Prudence. It is easily accessible, and affords excellent harbors and roadsteads. Newport, Bristol, Warren, and other towns are on its borders. It is well supplied with lighthouses, and strongly fortified.
Narva, a town and port of European Russia, in the government and 80 m. S. W. of the city of St. Petersburg, on the left bank of the Narova; pop. in 1867, 6,175. It is surrounded with a rampart, and has manufactories of nails, extensive saw mills, and productive fisheries. It was founded in the 13th century, and was formerly a member of the Hanseatic league, and celebrated for its commerce previous to the foundation of St. Petersburg. The inhabitants of Narva proper are nearly all of German descent, while the suburb of Ivangorod is almost exclusively inhabited by Russians. Near this town Charles NIL, on Nov. 30,1700, with an army of 8,500 Swedes, defeated more than 50,000 Russians under Peter the Great.
Nash, a N. E. county of North Carolina, bounded S. W. by Contentny creek and N. by Swift creek, and intersected by Tar river; area, 640 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,077, of whom 4,721 were colored. The surface is uneven. The chief productions in 1870 were 8,046 bushels of wheat, 152,506 of Indian corn, 14,356 of oats, 24,907 of sweet potatoes, and 3,607 bales of cotton. There were 845 horses, 444 mules and asses, 1,443 milch cows, 911 working oxen, 2,073 other cattle, 2,619 sheep, and 10,697 swine. Capital, Nashville.