Nectary (Nectarium)

Nectary (Nectarium), the term applied by Linnaeus to the parts of the flower in which nectar or honey is secreted. It was afterward used for any anomalous appendage to the flower, or for any unusual development of its parts, such as the spurs of the calyx in columbine and the curiously modified petals of the aconites; it was also given to the cup which surrounds the stamens in narcissus, to various disks and glands of the flower, and in fact to all parts of the flower not properly referred to calyx, corolla, stamens, and pistils. Having become such an indefinite term, being applied to bodies of widely different nature and without regard to whether they secreted honey or not, it has of late years been dropped by the best authors, and may be regarded as obsolete.

Negainee

Negainee, a city of Marquette co., Michigan, situated in the midst of the iron region, at the junction of the Marquette, Houghton, and Ontonagon railroad with the Peninsular division of the Chicago and Northwestern line, 12 m. W. by S. of Marquette; pop. in 1874, 3,741. On the south and west are large hills containing immense deposits of iron ore, and on the N. border is Teal lake, a beautiful body of water 2 m. long by ½ m. wide. There are productive mines and several large blast furnaces within the city limits. Negaunee has a number of stores doing a large business with the surrounding mines, a national and two state banks, a weekly newspaper, good public schools, and three churches. Previous to 1865 it contained only a few cabins.

Negropont

See Eubcea.

Nehemiah Grew

Nehemiah Grew, an English physician, born in Coventry about 1028, died in London, March 25, 1711. He was the first Englishman who studied vegetable anatomy and physiology, and was elected in 1077 secretary of the royal society. His principal works are: "The Anatomy of Plants, with an Idea of the Philosophical History of Plants " (fob, 1682); "Cosmolo-gia Sacra, or a Discourse of the Universe as it is the Creature and Kingdom of God" (fob, 1701); and "A Catalogue and Description of the Natural and Artificial Rarities belonging to the Royal Society."

Neisse

Neisse, a fortified town of Prussian Silesia, on the southern Neisse at its confluence with the Biela, 30 m. S. AV. of Oppeln; pop. in 1871, 19,376. The fortress, one of the most important in Prussia, was built by Frederick the Great. The town is clean and well built, and contains two Lutheran and eight Roman Catholic churches, a Roman Catholic gymnasium and other schools, several manufactories of linens and woollens, arms, and gunpowder, and a number of distilleries. Neisse was besieged three times in 1428 by the Hussites, taken by Frederick the Great in 1741, unsuccessfully besieged by the Austrians in 1758, and reduced by the French in 1807. In February, 1873, it was proposed to dismantle the fortifications.

Nelimbiim

See Water Lily.

Nelson River

Nelson River, of British North America, issues from the N. extremity of Lake Winnipeg, passes through a series of lakes, and falls into Hudson bay, N. of Fort York, after a N. E. course of about 350 m. It discharges a great volume of water, but its navigation is almost impossible, owing to numerous rapids and falls.