Neosho, a S. E. county of Kansas, intersected by the Neosho river; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,206. It is traversed by the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas, and the Leavenworth, Lawrence, and Galveston railroads. The surface is undulating or level, and the soil is fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 27,466 bushels of wheat, 199,997 of Indian corn, 48,241 of oats, 27,522 of potatoes, 59,025 lbs. of butter, and 4,943 tons of hay. There were 1,981 horses, 2,257 milch cows, 5,589 other cattle, 1,712 sheep, and 2,700 swine. Capital, Erie.
Nepenthe (Gr. vn, not, and, grief), a soothing drug known to the Egyptians, from whom, according to Homer, Helen learned the art of compounding it. According to Diodorus Siculus, the Theban women also possessed the secret of its preparation.
Nerac (anc. Neracum), a town of France, in the department of Lot-et-Garonne, on the Baise, 16 m. S. W. of Agen; pop. in 1866, 7,717. The new town is handsome, and larger than the older part, with which it is connected by stone bridges. Nérac contains a large church and several other public buildings, and a statue of Henry IV., who spent a part of his youth here. It has manufactures of various articles, especially corks for wine bottles. It was once the capital of the duchy of Albret, and has interesting relics of an old castle where Margaret of Navarre held her court, and where Calvin and other eminent reformers found an asylum. The former royal park now forms the promenade of La Garenne.
Nerbudda, a river of Hindostan, which rises about lat. 22° 40' N., Ion. 81° 50' E., nearly 3,500 ft. above the sea, and after a course of 800 m., generally W., through the Central Provinces, Indore, and Bombay, falls into the gulf of Cambay about lat. 21° 40' N., Ion. 73° E. During the rains it rises in some places 70 ft. and in others 20 above its level in the dry season. The Nerbudda has no tributaries worthy of notice. There are extensive forests on its banks. It flows rapidly, and in Malwa its channel is worn to a great depth through columnar basalt. The upper part of its course is obstructed by numerous rapids and falls.
Near the foot of the Vindhya hills the Holkar State railway crosses the Nerbudda by means of an iron bridge 2,755 ft. long, resting on 13 brick piers.
Nertchinsk, a town of eastern Siberia, in the province of Transbaikalia, about 530 m. E. of Irkutsk; pop. in 1869, 3,938. The military post of Nertchinsk commands the frontier of China. It is situated on low ground, subject to inundation. Most of the houses are built of wood. It contains churches and schools, and has an extensive fur trade. The first boundary treaty between Russia and China was concluded here in 1689. - The celebrated Nertchinsk government mines are situated 100 m. E. of the town, in the Nertchinskoi mountains. More than 4,000 persons were in former years employed in the silver mines alone. Lead, tin, cinnabar, and zinc mines also exist, and gold was largely produced in the years 1846-56.