Neuilly, a town of France, in the department of Seine, on the right bank of the river Seine, 1½ m. N. W. of the enceinte of Paris; pop. in 1872, 16,277. The river is here crossed by a handsome bridge of five arches, each of 120 ft. span. The park, which extended for some distance along the Seine, was formerly a favorite resort of the Parisians, but has been cut up into villa sites. The principal object of interest is the ruined palace, once the property of the Orleans family, and the residence of Louis Philippe. It was destroyed by the populace, Feb. 25, 1848, with the exception of one wing. Louis Philippe adopted the title of count of Neuilly during his exile. Several encounters took place at Neuilly in 1871 between the army of the commune and the Versailles troops.
Neuss, a fortified town of Rhenish Prussia, in the district of Diisseldorf, on the Erft, near its confluence with the Rhine, 21 m. N. W. of Cologne; pop. in 1871, 13.992. The Roman Catholic cathedral is a fine specimen of the architecture of the 13th century, and has been repeatedly restored. The town contains a Roman Catholic gymnasium and a Protestant church. It is a free port and the principal emporium of Rhenish Prussia in the corn trade, and produces more rape oil than any other town of Germany. There is also a large trade in coal, and the cattle fairs are largely attended. There are several manufactories of machinery and other articles. The Romans had a fort here (Novesium). Charles the Bold of Burgundy besieged Neuss in July, 1474, to assist Bishop Ruprecht of Cologne against his contumacious see. He withdrew after 11 months, having lost 10,000 men, on the appearance of the imperial army under Frederick III.
Neusatz (Hung. Ujvideh), a town of S. Hungary, in the county of Bacs, on the left bank of the Danube, connected by a bridge with the opposite fortress of Peterwardein; pop. in 1870, 19,119. A United Greek bishop resides here, and the town contains an Armenian and several Greek, Roman Catholic, and Protestant churches, a synagogue,, and a gymnasium. It was strongly fortified and prosperous until June 11, 1849, when it was stormed by the Austrians under Jellachich, and almost destroyed by the fire of the Hungarians from Peterwardein. It rapidly recovered, however. N. of the town is a line of Roman ramparts, erected by Trajan, which extends about 20 m. to the Thieiss.
Neuse, a river of North Carolina, rising in Person co., in the N. part of the state. It flows generally S. E. about -500 m., and empties into Pamlico sound through an estuary several miles wide in the lower part and about 50 m. long. It is navigable by steamboats eight months of the year for more than 100 m. The most important place on its banks is New Berne, at the mouth of its chief tributary, the Trent.
Neustria, the name of the western division of the Frankish empire under the Merovingians and Carlovingians, from the partition of the provinces by the sons of Clovis in 511 to the beginning of the 10th century. In the earlier part of that period Neustria extended from the Meuse, which formed its boundary toward Austrasia, the eastern division, to the ocean and the Loire, which separated it from Aquitania. The principal towns were Sois-sons, Paris, Orleans, and Tours. In later times it was restricted to the territories lying between the Seine and the Loire. The name disappeared when the maritime territory was ceded to the Normans (912), receiving the name of Normandy. (See France, vol. vii., p. 380.).