New Biscay. See Dttkango.
New Brighton, a borough of Beaver co., Pennsylvania, on the E. bank of Beaver river, here crossed by a bridge, 3 m. above its entrance into the Ohio, and on the Beaver and Erie canal and the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago railroad, 25 m. N. N. W. of Pittsburgh; pop. in 1870, 4,037. It is a place of active business, and the river supplies water power for factories of various kinds, consisting of a large woollen factory, extensive flax mills, the largest chain factory in the United States, novelty works, a keg factory, a foundery, two machine shops, a planing mill, three large flouring mills, and various other smaller industrial works. There are graded public schools, a weekly newspaper, a national bank, two banking houses, and eight churches.
See Saint John.
New England, the N. E. portion of the Uni-ted States, comprising the states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. It extends from lat. 41 to 17 32' X.. and from lon. 66° 52' to 73° 50' W., with an area of 68,460 sq. m., and a population in 1870 of 3,487,924. It has a coast line of about 700 m., without allowing for the smaller inlets, and constitutes a large part of the great peninsula which, including Nova Scotia. New Brunswick, and parts of Quebec, Canada, is formed by the Atlantic ocean, the St. Lawrence, and the connected waters of Lakes Champlain and George and the Hudson river. It was originally granted for colonization by James I. in 1606 to the Plymouth company under the name of North Virginia, and received its present name from Capt. John Smith, who in 1614 explored and made a map of the coast. - For the details of the geography and history of New England, see the articles on the states of which it is composed.
New Hanover, a S. E. county of North Carolina, bordering on the Atlantic and bounded W. by the Cape Fear river and one of its branches; area, about 1,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 27,978, of whom 16,199 were colored. It has a level surface, with occasional swamps, and a not very fertile soil, and contains large forests of pine. Several railroads terminate at Wilmington. The chief productions in 1870 were 133,176 bushels of Indian corn, 88,892 of peas and beans, 94,713 of sweet potatoes, 398,-925 lbs. of rice, 11,629 of wool, 29,950 of honey, and 4,622 gallons of wine. There were 633 horses, 410 mules and asses, 2,456 milch cows, 4,688 other cattle, 3,736 sheep, and 14,712 swine; 3 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 2 of railroad cars, 5 of cooperage, 1 of fertilizers, 2 of iron castings, 3 of machinery, 8 of tar and turpentine, 3 flour mills, 12 saw mills, and 1 ship yard. Capital, Wilmington.
New Harmony, a town of Posey co., Indiana, on the Wabash river, 50 m. from its mouth, and 150 m. S. W. of Indianapolis; pop. in 1870, 836. It was built by the Harmonists under George Rapp in 1815, and purchased from them in 1824 by Robert Owen for the purpose of testing his social system, an experiment which resulted unsuccessfully. Mr. Owen sold a large portion to William Maclure, who there established a school of industry, which after a trial of about six years was abandoned.