Nordlingen, a fortified town of Bavaria, in the district of Swabia and Neuburg, 38 m. N. W. of Augsburg; pop. in 1871, 7,081. It is surrounded by walls with towers at intervals, contains a handsome Gothic church of the 16th century, a Latin school, an orphan asylum, and manufactories of linens, woollens, carpets, and leather. On Sept. 6, 1634, a Swedish army under Gen. Horn and Bernard of Weimar was totally defeated here by the imperialists, commanded by Ferdinand, the emperor's son, and the generals Gallas and Piccolomini. Horn was among the captives. In 1645 the imperialists were in their turn defeated here by the French under Turenne. In 1647 the town was bombarded and partly burned by the Bavarians. Battles between the French and Aus-trians were also fought here in 1796 and 1800. Nördlingen was a free imperial city till 1802, when it was annexed to Bavaria.
Norrbotten, the northernmost Ian or province of Sweden, divided from Lapland by the Tornea and Muonio rivers; area, 39,797 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 78,659. It is traversed by the Ki6len mountains, and has many lakes and rivers, among the latter the Kalix, Lulea, and Pitea. The summers are exceedingly hot, though the climate is not regarded as unhealthy. Timber is the chief production, and some grain and cattle are raised. Capital, Pitea.
See Adams, Mass.
North And South Beveland, two islands of Holland, in the province of Zealand, formed by branches of the Scheldt; united area, 154 sq. m.; pop. 28,300. They lie E. of the island of Walcneren. South Beveland, the larger and more fertile, is also called by the Dutch Land van Ter-Goes. It has an active grain trade, and contains Goes, the capital, with a new harbor, and several forts and villages.
North And South Shields, two towns of England, situated respectively in the counties of Northumberland and Durham, on the N. and S. banks of the river Tyne, near its mouth in the North sea, 6 m. below Newcastle, and 250 m. N. N. W. of London; pop. of North Shields in 1871, 8,619; of South Shields, 45,336. The manufactures of both consist principally of articles used for nautical purposes, and of glass, pottery, and alum. Ship building, once extensively carried on, has much declined, and is now chiefly confined to repairing, for which there are large docks. The entrance to the Tyne is difficult, but there are two lighthouses, one 123 and the other 77 ft. above the sea. There is an extensive stone pier at the mouth of the harbor. The name Shields is derived from the sheels, or sheds, in which the fishermen of the Tyne formerly lived. Interesting Roman remains were discovered at South Shields in 1875.
See Caipe North.