Offenbirg, a town of Baden, at the entrance of the Kinzig valley, 40 m. S. W. of Carlsruhe; pop. in 1871, 5,756. It has a Catholic gymnasium, a female seminary in connection with a convent, and an active trade in grain and wine. A statue of Sir Francis Drake was erected here in 1853, in honor of his introduction of potatoes into Europe. In the vicinity is the renovated castle of Ortenberg. Offenburg was once a free imperial city. It suffered much from wars in the 17th century. The French were defeated here by the imperialists, Sept. 24, 1707.
Offspring Blackall, an English prelate, born in London in 1654, died in Exeter in 1716. For two years after the coronation of William III. he refused to take the oath of allegiance, but finally yielded. In 1699 he engaged in a controversy with Toland, who had denied in his "Life of Milton" that Charles I. was the author of the "Icon Basilike," and expressed doubts of the genuineness of the Scriptures. Blackall was consecrated bishop of Exeter in 1707. His works, in 2 vols, folio, were published in 1723.
Ogemaw, a N. E. county of the S. peninsula of Michigan, drained by Rifle river and other streams; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12. The surface is rolling, with a general slope to the S. E. The soil is fertile.
Oggione, Or Uggione, Marco Da, an Italian painter, born at Oggione, near Milan, about 1470, died in 1530. He was a pupil of Leonardo da Vinci. His chief works are the frescoes executed for the church della Pace in Milan, but he is perhaps best known by his celebrated copy of Da Vinci's "Last Supper," executed about 1510, now in the royal academy in London.
Ogle, a N. county of Illinois, intersected by Rock river; area, about 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 27,492. The surface is rolling, and the soil very fertile. It is traversed by the Illinois Central and the Chicago and Iowa railroads.
The chief productions in 1870 were 502,618 bushels of wheat, 157,504 of rye, 1,787,066 of Indian corn, 141,540 of oats, 317,462 of barley, 207,784 of potatoes, 95,138 lbs. of wool, 425,700 of flax, 875,056 of butter, 43,422 of cheese, and 41,637 tons of hay. There were 13,525 horses, 12,932 milch cows, 21,965 other cattle, 18,295 sheep, and 33,489 swine; 10 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 1 of dressed flax, 7 of saddlery and harness, 8 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 2 flour mills, and 1 planing mill. Capital, Oregon.
Oglethorpe, a N. E. county of Georgia, bounded N. by the Broad river and two of its branches, and S. W. by the Oconee; area, 480 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,782, of whom 7,141 were colored. It has a hilly surface and a generally fertile soil. It is intersected by the Athens branch of the Georgia railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 28,958 bushels of wheat, 181,386 of Indian corn, 22,880 of oats, 21,532 of sweet potatoes, 106,249 lbs. of butter, and 5,907 bales of cotton. There were 1,438 horses, 7,538 cattle, 4,314 sheep, and 9,354 swine. Capital, Lexington.