Pasquotank, a N E. county of North Carolina, bordering-on Virginia, and bounded N. E. by the Pasquotank river, and S. by Albemarle sound; area, about 300 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,131, of whom 3,951 were colored. Its surface is low and level, including a portion of the Dismal swamp, and in some places fertile. The Pasquotank river is navigable for small vessels to Elizabeth City, and a branch of the Dismal Swamp canal crosses the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 22,086 bushels of wheat, 434,985 of Indian corn, 23,937 of sweet potatoes, and 110 bales of cotton. There were 738 horses, 1,016 milch cows, 2,094 other cattle, 702 sheep, and 7,868 swine. Capital, Elizabeth City.
Passamaquoddy Bay, a body of water between the S. E. extremity of Maine and the S. W. corner of New Brunswick, being about 12 m. long and 6 m. wide at the entrance. It receives the waters of the St. Croix and Didge-guash rivers. Oampo Bello island lies across the entrance of the bay, and Deer island and a cluster of small islets called Wolf islands lie within it. The bay is well sheltered and not liable to be obstructed by ice; and it has good harbors and a sufficient depth for the largest vessels. The tide rises 25 ft.
Passarovitz (Serb, Pozharevatz), a town of Servia, 37 m. E. S. E. of Belgrade; pop. about 7,000. It contains a court and several schools, but is chiefly noted for the peace concluded here July 21, 1718, between Austria and Venice on one side and Turkey on the other, in which the Porte, humbled by the victories of Prince Eugene, consented to considerable cessions of territory on both sides of the lower Danube.
See Miracles and Moralities, and Ober-Ammergatt.
See Holy Week.
Patapsco, a river of Maryland, which rises in Carroll co., flows southward and then southeasterly between Baltimore co. and Howard and Anne Arundel counties, and passing Baltimore opens into a broad estuary which enters Chesapeake bay 14 m. below the city. Its total length is about 80 m., and it affords valuable water power. It is navigable for large vessels to Baltimore.
Patella (Lat., a kind of dish), the knee-pan, a chestnut-shaped bone placed in front of the knee joint, the cavity of which it protects from external violence. It is attached above to the tendon of the extensor muscles on the front of the thigh, and below, by means of a strong and broad ligament, to the tuberosity on the upper and front part of the tibia or leg bone. Its anterior surface is convex and rough, while its back part presents a double articular surface, invested with a thin layer of cartilage, corresponding with the articular surface of the front part of the lower.extremity of the femur. The patella thus takes part in the formation of the knee joint. It is liable to fracture and to lateral dislocation; but neither of these accidents is very frequent.