Pembroke, a borough and seaport of Pembrokeshire, Wales, on a creek of Milford Haven, 206 m. W. by K of London; pop. in 1871, 18,* 704. At the W. extremity of the rocky ridge on which the town stands are the ruins of a fortress erected in 1092, in which Henry VII. was born; it is among the most remarkable monuments of antiquity in S. Wales. The trade of the place, which was once considerable, has been transferred to Haverfordwest, and it now owes its chief importance to the royal dockyard, removed from Milford Haven in 1814 to Pater, or Pembroke Dock, 2 m. N. W. of the old town. The dockyard, comprising 60 acres, is surrounded by a high stone wall, and includes 12 slips for ship building. More than two thirds of the population live in this part of the town.
Pembrokeshire, a county of Wales, occupying the extreme S. W. point of the principality, and bordering on the Bristol and St. George's channels; area, 628 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 91,998. The coast line is indented by numerous bays and studded with islands. The rivers are small. The surface is generally undulating, with low hills and rich meadows and corn fields. The anthracite coal tract bisects the county. Copper ore is found, slate and coal are worked, and the fisheries are valuable.
The principal towns are Pembroke, Haverfordwest (the capital), St. Davids, Milford, and Tenby. Milford Haven is the chief port.
Pemiscot, a S. E. county of Missouri, in the extreme corner of the state, bordering S. on Arkansas and bounded E. by the Mississippi river, which separates it from Tennessee; area, 300 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,059, of whom 148 were colored. Its surface is nearly level, much of it being covered by swamps, the largest of which, Lake Pemiscot, has an area of about 75 sq. m. The chief productions in 1870 were 210,145 bushels of Indian corn and 136 bales of cotton. There were 791 horses, 1,167 milch cows, 2,446 other cattle, 635 sheep, and 9,377 swine. Capital, Gayoso.
Pemmican, a preparation of preserved meat, made by cutting lean meat into thin strips, and, after they are thoroughly dried, reducing the substance to powder and mixing it with melted fat. It is largely used by the northern voya-geurs, and constitutes an important item in the supplies furnished by the Hudson Bay company to their employees.
See Elizabeth Islands.
Penobscots And P Assamaquoddies, small tribes of Indians in Maine, representing the tribe originally known to the French as Male-cites and Etechemins, belonging to the Abena-qui group of Algonquins. (See Abenaquis.) They aided the colonists during the revolution, and received from Massachusetts a large reserve on both sides of the Penobscot river, part of which they afterward sold. The Penobscots number about 500, have a fund of $53,000 in the hands of the state, and reside chiefly on Indian island, opposite Oldtown, where they have a church, town hall, and schools. They are directed by a governor, lieutenant governor, two captains, and four councillors. The Passamaquoddies, also about 500 in number, reside at Denis island and Pleasant point, on the W. shore of Passamaquoddy bay, and on the Schoodic lakes. Both tribes are Roman Catholics, and several books have recently been printed for their use, in the Abenaqui dialect, by the Rev. E. Vetromile.