See Date Plum.
Person, a N. county of North Carolina, bordering on Virginia, and drained by branches of the Dan and the head waters of the Neuse river; area, about 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,170, of whom 5,104 were colored. It has a diversified surface and a generally fertile soil. The productions in 1870 were 53,824 bushels of wheat, 138,085 of Indian corn, 78,181 of oats, 9,150 of Irish and 10,023 of sweet potatoes, 69,155 lbs. of butter, and 1,227,150 of tobacco. There were 1,383 horses, 2,292 milch cows, 2,146 other cattle, 4,889 sheep, and 8,935 swine. Capital Roxborough.
Pesaro (anc. Pisaurum), a city of central Italy, capital of the province of Pesaro ed Urbino, at the mouth of the Foglia in the Adriatic, 36 m. N. W. of Ancona; pop. in 1872, 19,900. It is fortified, and has fine churches and palaces, a public library, two hospitals, a foundling asylum, and a theatre. Several of the churches and convents contain valuable paintings. The pottery early made here was long famous, but the manufactures now are unimportant. - The city is first mentioned in history in 186 B. 0., when a Roman colony was settled there. It was a flourishing town during the empire, was destroyed by Vitiges in the Gothic wars, was rebuilt in part by Belisarius, became prosperous under the exarchate of Ravenna, and was one of the cities of the Pentapolis.
Pesaro Ed Urbino, a province of the Marches, in the kingdom of Italy, bordering on the Adriatic and the provinces of Forli, Ancona, Perugia, and Arezzo; area, 1,144 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 213,072, about equally divided between the districts of Pesaro and Urbino. The surface is mountainous. The soil, especially in the valleys, is fertile, producing various sorts of grain, flax, hemp, the olive, and the vine. The principal rivers are the Oesano, Metauro, Foglia, and Marecchia. Cattle, sheep, swine, bees, and silkworms are extensively reared. The province is formed from the ancient duchy of Urbino, and occupies part of the old territory of Umbria. Capital, Pesaro.
Peschiera, a fortress of N. Italy, on the railroad from Milan to Verona, 20 m. N. by W. of Mantua; pop. about 2,500. It is situated on the Mincio, where it issues from the S. end of Lake Garda, and forms the N. W. angle of the so-called quadrilateral. It was fortified by the Venetians in the 16th century, and was an important point in the operations of Bonaparte and the Austrians in 1796. It was fallen by Charles Albert at the close of May, 1848, but was surrendered to the Austrians in August. It was annexed to Italy with Venetia in 1866.
Petchora, a river of European Russia, which rises in the government of Perm, on the western slopes of the Ural mountains, about lat. 61° 40' N, Ion. 59° E., and flows into the Arctic ocean through a wide estuary in lat. 68° 20' N, between Ion. 53° and 54° E., after a course of 900 m. After leaving Perm it flows very circuitously through the governments of Vologda and Archangel. There are many islands in its lower part. Its chief tributaries are the Usa, Ishma, and Tzylma.