Ponte Corvo, a town of S. Italy, in the province of Caserta, on the Garigliano, 50 m. N. W. of Naples; pop. of the commune about 11,000. It was acquired by Pope Julius II., and with a small territory formed a principality, which belonged to the papal see till 1860. From 1806 to 1810 it was held by Ber-nadotte with the title of prince of Ponte Corvo. The town is the seat of a bishop.
Pontefract, Or Pomfret, a town of England, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 160 m. N. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 5,372. The restored church of All Saints has a fine tower. There are a subscription and a mechanics' library, a fine market hall opened in 1860, and a large workhouse built in 1864. In the vicinity are celebrated gardens and nurseries, coal mines, and flour mills. Liquorice is largely produced. Earthenware, iron and brass castings, hats, and other articles are manufactured. Remains exist of the ancient castle, the scene of the murder of Richard II. and of other remarkable events.
See Papal States.
Pontoise (anc. Briva Isarce), a town of Prance, in the department of Seine-et-Oise, at the junction of the Oise and the Viosne, 18 m. N. W. of Paris; pop. in 1872, 6,480. It is built in the shape of an amphitheatre extending from the Oise to the top of a rocky eminence, and contains handsome public buildings and a public park. An annual fair is held here Nov. 11 - 13, on a plain near the bank of the Oise. There is a trade in grain, flour, and cattle. Chemical products and hosiery are made. - Pontoise was formerly fortified, and was the capital of the Vexin Francais, with counts of its own. It was often the residence of the Capetian kings. During the mediaeval wars it was twice taken by the English.
Pontormo, II (Jacopo Carrucci), an Italian painter, born at Pontormo, Tuscany, in 1493, died in 1558. A pupil of Andrea del Sarto, he won the commendations of Michel Angelo; and Raphael, whereupon his master from jealousy expelled him from his studio. But he did not fulfil the hopes of his admirers, and left but few historical pictures, the most valuable of which is the u Visitation of our Lady," in the Annunziata at Florence. In portraiture his works rank as masterpieces.
Pontotoc, a N. county of Mississippi, watered by the Tallahatchee and Yalabusha and branches of the Tombigbee river; area, about 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,525, of whom 3,012 were colored. It has an undulating surface and fertile soil. The chief productions in 1870 were 13,057 bushels of wheat, 371,719 of Indian corn, 31,408 of sweet potatoes, 4,524 bales of cotton, and 16,923 gallons of molasses. There were 2,229 horses, 1,533 mules and asses, 4,151 milch cows, 892 working oxen. 4,791 other cattle, 6,999 sheep, and 23,525 swine. Capital, Pontotoc.
See Black Sea.
Poodle (Canis Aquaticus), the barbet or water dog. It has a high and round head, large cavity for the brain, expanded frontal sinuses, long ears, compact body, and rather short legs. The hair is long, curly, black, white, or the two mixed, sometimes with rufous marks. The large variety stands 18 to 20 .in. high at the shoulders, and has coarse curled hair, often shaved to represent a miniature lion; the muzzle "is short and prominent, and the tail is rather short and somewhat erect.- It has long been known to fishermen and sportsmen as an excellent water dog; the sense of smell is exquisite, which gives it a remarkable power of tracing out the lost property of its master; it is strong, intelligent, and affectionate. There is a diminutive breed, with longer and more silky and curly hair, generally white.