Ritchie, a N. W. county of West Virginia, intersected by Hughes river, a branch of the Little Kanawha; area, about 450 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,055, of whom 63 were colored. It has a hilly surface, covered with forests, and the soil is fertile near the streams. It is traversed by the Parkersburg division of the Baltimore and Ohio railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 25,510 bushels of wheat, 35,635 of rye, 146,235 of Indian corn, 40,033 of oats, 4,732 tons of hay, 9,907 lbs. of tobacco, 26,828 of wool, 116,094 of butter, and 29,257 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 1,970 horses, 5,334 cattle, 11,607 sheep, and 4,617 swine. Capital, Harrisville.
Rive-De-Gier, a town of France, in the department of Loire, on the Gier, an affluent of the Rhône, 12 m. N. E. of St. Étienne; pop. in 1872, 13,946. It has blast furnaces and forges, and steam engines, steel, glass (chiefly bottles of fine quality), and ribbon are manufactured. Near it are silk mills, extensive coal fields, and the reservoir of the Givors canal.
See Wart Hog.
Rivoli, a village of Venetia, Italy, in the province and 12 m. N. W. of the city of Verona, on the W. bank of the Adige; pop. about 1,000. It is memorable for the victory gained here by Bonaparte, Jan. 14, 15, 1797, over the Austrian general Alvinczy, who was marching to the relief of Mantua. This action, in which Joubert and Masséna bore an important part, decided the campaign. The Austrians lost 20,000 prisoners, Mantua surrendered, and the French were enabled to dictate terms at Cam-po Formio. For his services in this battle Masséna was in 1807 made duke of Rivoli.
Rliandcisli, Or Khandesh Candeish Candesh, a district of British India, presidency of Bombay, division of Poonah, bounded N. by the territory of Holkar, E. and S. by the Nizam's dominions, and W. by Guzerat; area, 12,078 sq. m.; pop. about 800,000. It is watered by the Nerbudda and the Taptee. In the 15th century Oandeish was governed by independent sovereigns; toward the close of the 16th it was annexed to the Mogul empire. On the overthrow of the peishwa in 1818, it became a British possession.
Roanne, a town of France, in the department of Loire, on the left bank of the Loire, 40 m. N. W. of Lyons; pop. in 1872, 20,037. It is well built, and has fine promenades, a wide quay, and a stone bridge 620 ft. long, with seven arches. The town has a college with a library of about 10,000 volumes, a church of the 15th century, a city hall, dyeing establishments, tanneries, flax and cotton mills, and hat shops. It is celebrated for its mineral waters. A canal connects it with Di-goin. It is the great entrepot for the product of the Loire coal fields. It contains numerous Gallo-Roman antiquities.
Roanoke, a S. county of Virginia, intersected by Staunton river, bordered S. E. by the Blue Ridge and N. W. by a ridge of the Alleghanies; area, about 200 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,350, of whom 3,132 were colored. It occupies part of the great Virginia valley, and has a very fertile soil. It is traversed by the Virginia and Tennessee division of the Atlantic, Mississippi, and Ohio railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 203,226 bushels of wheat, 86,943 of Indian corn, 89,558 of oats, 3,481 tons of hay, 280,550 lbs. of tobacco, 4,365 of wool, 120,980 of butter, and 4,600 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 1,846 horses, 5,075 cattle, 2,208 sheep, and 7,344 swine. Capital, Salem.