Robert Wood, a British archaeologist, born at Riverstown, county Meath, Ireland, in 1716, died at Putney, near London, Sept. 9, 1771. He was educated at Oxford, visited Italy repeatedly, made the tour of Asia Minor and Syria in 1750, in company with an Italian architect named Borra as a draughtsman, and published "The Ruins of Palmyra " (fol., 1753, with 57 plates), and "The Ruins of Balbec" (fol., 1757, with 46 plates). From 1759 to 1765 he was under-secretary of state. His "Essay on the original Genius and Writings of Homer " was published posthumously (4to, 1775).
Robeson, a S. county of North Carolina, bordering on South Carolina, watered by the Lumber and Little Pedee rivers; area, about 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 16,262, of whom 737 were colored. It has a nearly level surface and a generally sandy soil. It is intersected by the Carolina Central railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 5,838 bushels of rye, 138,545 of Indian corn, 21,261 of peas and beans, 84,784 of sweet potatoes, 69,486 lbs. of rice, 14,081 of wool, 25,199 of honey, and 2,109 bales of cotton. There were 1,152 horses, 741 mules and asses, 2,915 milch cows, 6,469 other cattle, 8,396 sheep, and 18,751 swine; 1 saw mill, and 15 establishments for the production of tar and turpentine. Capital, Lumberton.
Robez, Or Rhodez, a city of S. France, capital of the department of Aveyron, situated upon a lofty promontory surrounded by the Aveyron, 310 m. S. of Paris; pop. in 1872, 11,662. It has an institution for deaf mutes, a normal school, lyceum, and diocesan seminary. It contains a fine Gothic cathedral begun in the 13th century, a monastery of the Cordeliers, handsome modern public buildings, manufactures of linen and serge, and a considerable trade in cheese, mules, and cattle.
Roch Ambroisc Auguste Bebian, a French teacher of deaf mutes, born on the island of Guadeloupe in 1789, died there in 1834. He was the son of a merchant and the godson of the abbe Sicard, under whose direction he qualified himself for his task. He published in 1817 an Essai sur les sourds-muets et sur le langage naturel, and afterward became a professor at the royal institution, where he excited so much jealousy by his zeal for reform that he was induced in 1825 to resign and return to Guadeloupe. Among his writings are: Mimo-graphie, ou Essai d'ecriture mimique (1822), and Manuel d'enseignement pratique (1827). The academy awarded him a prize for his Eloge Mstorique de l'abbe de l'Epee.
Rochefort, Or Rochefort-Sur-Mer, a fortified town of France, in the department of Cha-rente-Inférieure, on the right bank of the Cha-rente, about 9 m. from its mouth, and 18 m. S. S. E. of La Rochelle; pop. in 1872, 28,299. It was a place of no importance till 1666, when it was made a naval station by Louis XIV., the harbor was enlarged, and the city was fortified by Vauban. It has extensive docks, magazines, cannon founderies, and a marine hospital; and it ranks among the first naval establishments of France. It is also a commercial centre of importance. Napoleon here surrendered to Capt. Maitland, of the British man-of-war Bellerophon, July 15, 1815.