Rosamond, commonly called "Fair Rosamond," a favorite of King Henry II. of England, the daughter of "Walter, Lord Clifford, died in 1177. She was first brought to the king's notice through the collusion of her brothers, who desired to advance their own fortunes by means of their sister's beauty. She lived at Woodstock, where Henry frequently visited her, and bore to him William Longsword, earl of Salisbury, and Geoffrey, who was nominated bishop of Lincoln. She was buried in the church of Goodstone, opposite the high altar, but in 1191 Hugh, bishop of Lincoln, caused her bones to be removed with disgrace. The story of her concealment in a labyrinth and being poisoned by Queen Eleanor lacks historic basis.
Rosetta (Arabic, Rashid), a town and seaport of Lower Egypt, on the westerly or Ro-setta branch of the Nile, 36 m. E. N. E. of Alexandria, and 6 m. from the Mediterranean by way of the river; pop. in 1872, 15,002. It is about 1 1/2 m. N. of what is supposed to be the site of the ancient Bolbitine. Rosetta is regarded as one of the most attractive towns in Lower Egypt. It contains many beautiful gardens, and the houses are well built, although numbers of them have been allowed to fall into ruin. The port is secure, but is difficult of entrance, owing to a shifting sand bar. The trilingual inscription known as the "Rosetta stone," the key to the discoveries of Young and Champollion, was found here. (See Egypt, Language and Literature of).
Roskilde, a town of Denmark, in the island of Seeland, on a branch of the Issefiord, 20 m. W. by S. of Copenhagen; pop. about 5,000. It was the ancient capital of the kingdom, but ceased to be a royal residence in 1443. The cathedral, dating from 1084, is the largest and finest in Denmark, and contains more than 70 tombs of Danish kings and members of the royal family. Outside of the town is the large lunatic asylum, called Bidstrup, belonging to the city of Copenhagen. Charles X. (Gusta-vus) of Sweden, after several victories over Frederick III. of Denmark, concluded a treaty here in March, 1658.
Ross And Cromarty, two N. counties of Scotland, which, being politically connected, are generally treated under one head. They border on Sutherland, Inverness, the North sea, and the Atlantic; area, including the N. portion of the island of Lewis, one of the Hebrides, which belongs to Ross, 3,151 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 80,909. Both coasts are indented with numerous bays and excellent harbors. There are several lakes, of which the largest is Loch Maree, 12 m. long. The general surface is mountainous, some peaks reaching a height of 3,500 ft. and upward. The scenery is remarkably wild and romantic. The fisheries employ upward of 20,000 hands. Improved breeds of cattle and sheep are extensively reared. Numerous plantations of trees have been formed within the present century, and parts formerly bare are now covered with extensive forests. These counties contain many remains of antiquity. The principal towns are Tain, Dingwall, and Cromarty.