See Saint Mary's Strait.
Saumur, a town of France, in the department of Maine-et-Loire, on the left bank of the Loire, 25 m. S. E. of Angers; pop. in 1872, 12,552. It is built partly on a steep hill surmounted by an old castle, now used as a town hall. A handsome bridge connects the lower town with a suburb on the opposite bank. Some of the churches are of great antiquity. Saumur has a celebrated school of cavalry, and manufactories of linen, glass, enamelled articles, leather, and saltpetre. It was formerly a stronghold of the Protestants, who had here an academy and a theological seminary, which were suppressed in 1685. In June, 1793, it was taken by the Vendeans, after a battle, and retaken by the republicans.
Saunders, an E. county of Nebraska, bounded N. and E. by the Platte river, and drained by Cottonwood creek and other streams; area, about 750 sq. m.; pop. in 1875, 10,382. The Burlington and Missouri River railroad touches the S. E. corner. The surface consists of rolling prairies, and the soil is very fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 55,652 bushels of wheat, 86,545 of Indian corn, 28,-827 of oats, 15,273 of potatoes, 4,630 lbs. of wool, 41,525 of butter, and 5,730 tons of hay. There were 800 horses, 583 milch cows, 1,842 cattle, 1,351 sheep, and 1,335 swine. Capital, Ashland.
Sauropsida, one of Huxley's three divisions of the vertebrates, embracing the birds and reptiles, characterized by absence of gills at any time of life, by skull jointed to spine by a single condyle, and by lower jaw of several pieces, united to the skull by an os quadra-tum, as distinguished from his division of ichthyopsida, including fishes and batrachians which have either permanent or deciduous gills. The affinities which justify the union of birds with reptiles are well seen in the fossil archaeopteryx. (See ArchAEopteryx).
See Georgia, vol. vii., p. 716.
Save (anc. Savus; Ger. Sau; Hun. Sząva), a river of Austria and Turkey, rises in the Car-nic Alps, in the N. W. corner of Carniola, flows mostly E. S. E. through Carniola and Croatia, passing Laybach and Agram, and along the southern boundary of Slavonia, separating it from Bosnia and Servia, and empties into the Danube between Belgrade and Semlin. It is about 550 m. long, and for most of its course winds sluggishly through an open country, often overflowing. Below the confluence of the Kulpa it is navigable for vessels of 150 tons. Its principal affluents, all from the south, are the Kulpa, Unna, Verbas, Bosna, and Drina.
Saverio Bettinelli, an Italian author, born in Mantua, July'18, 1718, died there, Dec. 13, 1808. He became a member of the society of Jesus in 1786. From 1739 to 1744 he taught literature at Brescia, and was afterward professor of rhetoric successively at Venice and Parma. He was noted for his eloquence as a preacher and his generous social nature. When the society of Jesus was abolished, he relinquished the professorship which he then held at Modena, and returned to Mantua. His principal works are: Dell' entueiaemo nelle belle arti (2 vols., Milan, 1769), and Risorgimento negli studj, etc. (2 vols., Bassano, 177;")). A complete edition of his works was published at Venice in 1801, in 24 vols. His Lettere dieci di Virgilio agli Arcadi were severely criticised on account of their depreciation of Dante and other great writers. His Versi scioltl are his best poems.