Shelburne, a S. W. county of Nova Scotia, Canada, bordering on the Atlantic ocean; area, 948 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 12,417, of whom 7,426 were of English, 1,780 of Scotch, 1,325 of Irish, and 1,064 of German origin or descent. The coast is deeply indented with numerous excellent harbors, into which flow several considerable streams. The surface is mountainous along the shore, but further inland it is mostly level. Capital, Shelburne.
Shelbyville, a city and the county seat of Shelby co., Indiana, on the Blue river and the Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Lafayette railroad, at the junction of a branch of the Jeffer-sonville, Madison, and Indianapolis line, 27 m. S. E. of Indianapolis; pop. in 1870, 2,731; in 1875, estimated by local authorities at 4,000. It is surrounded by a rich farming country, is lighted with gas, and has a good fire department. It contains a planing mill, two saw mills, three flouring and grist mills, two banks; five hotels, a seminary, three weekly newspapers, and seven churches.
Shem (Heb., name, or fame), one of the three sons of Noah, according to most commentators the eldest. He was the progenitor of the southwestern nations of Asia, being the father of Elam (Susiana), Ashur (Assyria), Ar-phaxad (according to Josephus, Chaldea), from whom descended the Hebrews and Arabs, Lud (Lydia), and Aram (Syria). The region occupied by the Biblical Shemites or Semites thus extended from the mountains E. of the Tigris to the western offshoots of the Taurus, and from the Armenian mountains to the southern extremities of the Arabian peninsula. (See Semitic Race and Languages).
Canada A S. County Of Quebec, drained by the St. Francis and Magog rivers; area, 219 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 8,516, of whom 3,544 were of French, 2,442 of English, 1,601 of Irish, and 777 of Scotch origin or descent. It is traversed by the Grand Trunk, the Massawippi Valley, and the St. Francis and Lake Megantic International railways.
A Town, capital of the county, on both sides of the river Magog, at its entrance into the St. Francis, on the Portland division of the Grand Trunk railway, at the intersection of the Massawippi Valley railway, 80 m. E. by S. of Montreal; pop. in 1871, 4,432. It contains manufactories of woollen and cotton cloths, flannels, iron castings, machinery, axes, pails, etc., several saw mills and breweries, a bank, a branch bank, an academy, and three weekly newspapers (one French).
Sherburne, a central county of Minnesota, bounded S. W. by the Mississippi and intersected by Snake river; area, 445 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,050. It contains several small lakes. The surface is diversified and the soil productive. It is traversed by the St. Paul and Pacific railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 26,457 bushels of wheat, 37,006 of Indian corn, 17,797 of oats, 17,987 of potatoes, 8,303 tons of hay, 2,556 lbs. of wool, and 56,610 of butter. There were 412 horses, 716 milch cows, 1,490 other cattle, 1,112 sheep, and 542 swine. Capital, Orono.