See Frauds, Statute Of.
Stavanger, a town of Norway, capital of a district of the same name, in the province of Christiansand, on the Bukkefiord, 100 m. S. of Bergen; pop. in 1870, 17,058. It has three suburbs, a cathedral dating from the 11th century, a good harbor, about 500 registered vessels, and extensive fisheries. The population in 1801 was barely 2,500.
A Government Of Russia, in Ciscaucasia, bounded N. by the country of the Don Cossacks and Astrakhan, E. and S. by the Terek territory, and W. by the Kuban territory; area, 26,634 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 437,118, embracing Russians, Cossacks, Nogai Tartars, Calmucks, Turkomans, Armenians, and others. The government is mostly level and unproductive, contains-a number of shallow lakes and swamps, and is watered by the Kuma, Kalauz, and other rivers.
A Town, capital of the government, on the Atchla, 185 m. S. E. of Azov; pop. in 1871, 20,927. It is strongly fortified, has several churches and schools, a fine bazaar, manufactories of soap and leather, and an increasing trade with the Asiatic provinces of the empire. The neighboring warm sulphur springs are much frequented.
Stearns, a central co. of Minnesota, bounded E. by the Mississippi, and drained by Sauk river and lake; area, 1,379 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,206. A portion of the county is prairie, but the W. part is hilly. There are numerous lakes and streams. It is traversed by the St. Paul and Pacific railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 305,114 bushels of wheat, 78,627 of Indian corn. 447,193 of oats, 23,856 of barley, 120,865 of 'potatoes, 28,939 tons of hay, 17,701 lbs. of wool, and 323,085 of butter. There were 2,313 horses, 4,399 milch cows, 8,571 other cattle, 6,174 sheep, and 6,237 swine; 9 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 1 of agricultural implements, 4 of furniture, 7 breweries, 6 flour mills, and 5 saw mills. Capital, St. Cloud.
Steea Andersen Bille, a Danish naval officer, horn in Copenhagen, Dec. 5, 1797. He is the son of a distinguished admiral, served alternately under the Danisb and French flags, and was on board the Bellone during the expedition of that vessel to South America in 1840. In 1845 he made in the Danish corvette Galatea, a voyage round the world, an account of which he published at Copenhagen in 3 vols. (1849-151). During the Schleswig-Holstein war he was employed in the blockade of the Elbe and Weser, and of the Holstein coast. In 1852 he was appointed minister of marine, councillor, and rear admiral, and retired in 1854.
Steele, a S. E. county of Minnesota, drained by the Lester river and branches of Cannon river; area, 432 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,271. . The surface is undulating, diversified by prairie and strips of forest, and the soil fertile. There are three or four small lakes and several fine streams. The chief productions in 1870 were 385,214 bushels of wheat, 82,040 of Indian corn, 230,421 of oats, 12,709 of barley, 36,025 of potatoes, 19,928 tons of hay, 7,172 lbs. of wool, 208,249 of butter, and 8,700 of hops. There were 1,971 horses, 2,846 milch cows, 3,794 other cattle, 2,785 sheep, and 2,006 swine. The Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul, and the Chicago and Northwestern railroads pass through the capital, Owatonna.