Stoke -Upon -Trent, a parliamentary borough, town, and parish of Staffordshire, England, on the river Trent, 134 m. N. W. of London; pop. of the parish (including Hanley and other towns) in 1871, 89,262; of the parliamentary borough, 130,985. The town is the centre of "the Potteries," is well built, with numerous wharves and warehouses, and is intersected by the great trunk Trent canal and the North Staffordshire railway. Pottery is the principal manufacture, employing a largo proportion of the population, and the place is famous for its china, porcelain, statuettes, and ornamental and encaustic tiles.
Stolpe, Or Stolp, a walled town of Prussia, in the province of Pomerania, on the navigable river Stolpe, 10 m. from its mouth at the port of Stolpemunde on the Baltic, and 125 m. N. E. of Stettin; pop. in 1871, 16,280. It has a castle, three churches, a gymnasium, two hospitals, a house for invalids, and manufactures of amber, wool, linen, copper, hats, starch, tobacco, and leather.
Stone Chat (saxicola rudicola, Bechst.), a dentirostral • bird of the warbler family, and subfamily erythacinoe, or old world .robins. The bill is short, with broad gape, furnished with bristles; wings long and rounded, with fourth and fifth quills equal and longest; tail short and broad; tarsi and toes slender, and hind toe long. There are several species. The stone chat, resident in England but migratory on the continent, is about 4½ in. long; the head, throat, and back black, on the latter edged with whitish red; sides of neck, upper part of wings, and rump white; breast orange brown; lower parts reddish white. A similar but migratory species is the whin chat (S. rubetra, Bechst.), so named for its partiality for furze or whin bushes. These two species belong to the subgenus pratincola (Koch).
Stone Chat (Saxicola rubicola).
Stony Point, a small rocky promontory on the right bank of the Hudson river, in Rockland co., N. Y., 42 m. N. of New York, at the entrance of the Highlands, and opposite Ver-planck's Point. On both these points forts were built by the Americans during the revolution, which were captured by Sir Henry Clinton about the first of June, 1779, strengthened, and garrisoned; but that on Stony Point was retaken by a bold night attack under Gen. Anthony Wayne, with 1,200 men, July 16, and the garrison of 543 officers and men made prisoners. The Americans had 15 killed and 83 wounded, and the British 63 killed. The simultaneous attack on Verplanck's Point having failed, the works on Stony Point were destroyed and abandoned on the 18th.
Stores, a N. county of North Carolina, bordering on Virginia, and drained by a branch of the Dan river; area, 550 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,208, of whom 2,608 were colored. The surface is hilly and the soil fertile. Iron ore is abundant. The chief productions in 1870 were 33,450 bushels of wheat, 11,948 of rye, 171,214 of Indian corn, 36,353 of oats, 11,246 of Irish and 9,953 of sweet potatoes, 844,145 lbs. of tobacco, 6,381 of wool, 46,325 of butter, 37,050 of honey, and 7,421 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 916 horses, 504 mules and asses, 4,928 cattle, 5,482 sheep, and 12,132 swine. Capital, Danbury.