Sutlej, the most easterly of the five rivers of the Punjaub, in British India. It rises in Thibet N. of the Himalaya mountains, about lat. 31° N., Ion. 82° E., flowing K W. out of Lake Manasarowar, and in the early part of its course is joined by numerous tributaries. After a course of about 200 m. it turns W., and in about lat. 31° 10', Ion. 75° 4', 550 m. from its source, it unites with the Beas, and the river thence flows S. W. and is called the Ghara until its junction with the Chenaub, 300 m. below, when the united stream takes the name of Punjnud, and joins the Indus after a course of about 50 m., in lat. 28° 58', lon. 70° 23'. The upper Sutlej is supposed to be the Hesudrus and the lower the Hyphasis of the ancients. In the upper part of its course the Sutlej is an impetuous torrent, and the scenery magnificent. In the Punjaub plain it is from 7 to 30 ft. deep, and from 250 to 500 and 700 yards wide.
Sutter, a central county of California, comprising the delta between the Sacramento and Feather rivers; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,030, of whom 208 were Chinese. It consists chiefly of rich bottom lands, almost the only inequality of surface being the Sutter buttes, an isolated group of three peaks in the north. There is little timber. The chief productions in 1870 were 673,749 bushels of wheat, 26,513 of Indian corn, 452,911 of barley, 14,630 gallons of wine, 126,657 lbs. of wool, 117,875 of butter, and 14,100 tons of hay. There were 4,754 horses, 3,623 milch cows, 4,476 other cattle, 35,078 sheep, and 10,690 swine. Capital, Yuba City.
A W. Government Of Poland, bordering on Lomza, Prussia, and the Lithuanian governments of Kovno, Wilna, and Grodno; area, 4,846 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 524,489. It is level, well wooded, and drained by the Niemen, which constitutes its E. and N. frontier. The principal towns are Suwalki, Au-gustowo, and Kalvarya. II A town, capital of the government, 150 m. N. E. of Warsaw; pop. in 1867, 16,896, including about 6,000 Jews. It was founded by King Sigismund Augustus, and has been much improved. It contains many brandy distilleries, and the trade is active, especially in horses and cattle during the periodical fairs.
Suwannee, Or Suwanee, a N. county of Florida, bounded N., W., and S. W. by the Suwannee river; area, 790 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,556, of whom 1,435 were colored. The surface is undulating, and the soil tolerably fertile. There are two or three small lakes and several swamps. The county is traversed by the Jackson, Pensacola, and Mobile railroad, and its branch from Live Oak to Lawton, Ga. The chief productions in 1870 were 50,934 bushels of Indian corn, 19,404 of oats, 17,670 of sweet potatoes, 10,741 of peas and beans, 511 bales of cotton, 61 hogsheads of sugar, and 17,427 gallons of molasses. There were 1,875 milch cows, 2,156 other cattle, 369 sheep, and 3,946 swine. Capital, Houston.