See Ink, vol. ix., p. 284.
Szabadra (Ger. Maria-TheresiopeT), a town of S. Hungary, in the countv of Bacs, 96 m. S. S. E. of Pesth; pop. in 1870, 56,323. Its inhabitants are mostly agriculturists, but there is also considerable trade in cattle, tobacco, and other products.
Szabolcs, a NT. E. county of Hungary, in the Trans-Tibiscan circle, the Theiss constituting the N. and part of the W. frontier; area, 2,304 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 265,584, chiefly Magyars. It is a wide, sandy plain, with large marshes, especially in the north and west, but the soil is fertile. The chief products are cattle, grain, tobacco, and wine. Capital, Nagy-Kallo.
A .N. E. County Of Hungary, in the Trans-Tibiscan circle, bounded N. by the Theiss, and intersected by the Sza-mos; area, 2,260 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 280,-568, chiefly Magyars. The E. part is mountainous, and contains the gold and silver mines of Nagy-Banya; the remainder is level and partly marshy. The climate is healthful and mild, and the soil fertile, producing corn, maize, hemp, flax, wine, and tobacco. Cattle, swine, sheep, and bees are raised in great numbers.
A Town, capital of the county, 65 m. E. N. E. of Debreczin; pop. in 1870, 18,-353. It consists of two parts, Nemeti on the N. bank of the Szamos, and Szatmar on an island in the river. It is the seat of a Catholic bishop, and has a Catholic gymnasium, a lyceum, a seminary, and Greek and Protestant churches. A considerable trade is carried on in wine, linen, and woollen fabrics.
Szegedin (Hun. Szeged), a city of Hungary, capital of the county of Csongrad, on the right bank of the Theiss, opposite the mouth of the Maros, 55 m. W. of Arad and 96 m. S. E. of Pesth; pop. in 1870, 70,179, chiefly Magyars and Slavs. It stands in a marshy plain, and is divided into the town proper and the upper and lower suburbs. The river is crossed by a bridge of boats, and the town is defended by an old fortress built by the Turks in the 16th century, which contains extensive barracks, a house of correction, and a church of its own. There are six Roman Catholic churches, a Catholic gymnasium, and a beautiful Greek church. Cloth, tobacco, soda, and soap are manufactured, and river boats are built. It is connected by rail with all parts of the country, and carries on an extensive trade. In the summer of 1849 it was the seat of the Hungarian diet till it was taken by the Austrians early in August.
Middle, a county formerly belonging to Transylvania, and now to Hungary, bounded S. E. by Transylvania; area, 855 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 113,639, chiefly Wallachs. It is mountainous, and watered by tributaries of the Szamos. Capital, Szilagy-Somlyo.
A Town Of Hungary, in the county of Heves, on the Theiss, 56 m. E. S. E. of Pesth; pop. in 1870, 15,847, chiefly Magyars. It is connected with Pesth, Arad, and Debreczin by rail, and has considerable trade and important fisheries.