Tarpeia, a Roman maiden, the daughter of Spurius Tarpeius, who, according to the legendary history of the period, was governor of the citadel on the Capitoline hill when the Sabines invested Rome. Tarpeia saw and admired the bracelets of the Sabines, and offered to betray the citadel to them for " what they wore on their left arms." She opened the gate at night, and as they passed in they threw upon her their shields, which were worn on the left arm, and crushed her. She was buried on that part of the hill called the Tarpeian rock.
Tarragon (Lat. dracunculus; Span, tara-gona), an aromatic herb (artemisia dracunculus) belonging to the comyontai, and in the same genus with the common wormwood, but differing from this and most other species in having undivided leaves. It is a native of Siberia and the region of the Caspian sea, and is much cultivated in European, and sparingly in American gardens. It is a perennial, with stems 2 to 3 ft. high, and bears upon the upper branches small heads of inconspicuous flowers, which in cultivation are infertile; the long, narrow, and smooth leaves have an aromatic odor and a taste somewhat like that of anise. The French, who call it estragon, consider the leaves or young shoots essential to the proper dressing of some salads, and use it also to flavor vinegar, pickles, and mustard, and in other compounds. Tarragon vinegar is made by simply infusing the leaves in strong vinegar. The plant is perfectly hardy in this country.
Tarrant, a N. W. county of Texas, intersected by the West fork of Trinity river; area, 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,788, of whom 705 were colored. The surface is undulating, partly timbered and partly prairie, and the soil fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 29,587 bushels of wheat, 203,595 of Indian corn, 72,635 of oats, 12,995 of sweet potatoes, 41,669 lbs. of butter, and 728 bales of cotton. There were 6,953 horses, 4,099 milch cows, 14,946 other cattle, 4,205 sheep, and 13,052 swine. Capital, Fort Worth.
Tarrytown, a village in the town of Green-burgh, Westchester co., New York, on the E. bank of the Hudson river where it widens into the Tappan Zee, and on the Hudson River railroad, 26 m. N. of New York city; pop. in 1875, 6,500. It is very picturesque, and contains a large number of elegant country seats. It is celebrated as the scene of the capture of Major Andre in 1780, and contains a monument commemorative of that event. South of the village is Sunnyside, the residence of Washington Irving, whose grave is in the Sleepy Hollow cemetery, near the old Dutch church. The village contains a silk factory, a boot and shoe factory, a steam pump factory, a tool factory, a sash and blind factory, a national bank, a savings bank, several public schools, two female seminaries, two boarding schools for boys, a weekly newspaper, and 11 churches.