Torfaeus, Or Torniodus, the Latin name of Thormodr Torfason, an Icelandic scholar, born in Engo in 1636, died near Copenhagen in 1719. Frederick III. of Denmark in 1660 made him interpreter of Icelandic manuscripts, of which he made a collection in Iceland. In 1667 he was appointed keeper of the royal collection of antiquities, and in 1682 royal historiographer. Of his works, in which first appeared the northern sagas on the discovery of America, the most important is Historia Rerum Norvegicarum (4 vols, fol., 1711).
Torna, a N. county of Hungary, bordering on the counties of Zips, Abauj, Borsod, and Gomor; area, 231) sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 23,126, chiefly Magyars and Roman Catholics. It is watered by the Bodva, which receives the Torna. The soil is mostly rocky and sterile; the principal products are hemp and wine. About three sevenths of the area is wooded. Capital, Torna.
Russia A Town Of Finland, in the lan or government of Uleaborg, at the mouth of the Tornea river; lat. 65° 50' N., Ion. 24° 14' E.; pop. about 700. It has a considerable trade in timber, fish, furs, reindeer skins, tar, etc. Many travellers visit Tornea to see the midnight sun, visible here from the church steeple in the latter part of June. Most of them proceed to Mt. Avasaksa, about 40 m. N., which offers a more advantageous view. Observations for determining the figure of the earth were made at Tornea by Maupertuis in 1736-'7, and by Prof. Svanberg of Upsal in 1801-'3.
Torontal, a S. county of Hungary, bordering on the counties of Csongrad, Csanad, Temes, and Bacs, and on Slavonia; area, 2,650 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 413,010, chiefly Magyars and Roumans. It is watered by the Maros, Theiss, Bega, and Temes. The climate is unhealthful, but the soil is very fertile. The chief products are wheat, maize, melons, flax, rice, tobacco, and wine. Many sheep and horses are raised. Capital, Nagy-Becskerek.
Torquay, a town of England, in Devonshire, on a peninsula on the N. E. side of Tor bay, 167 m. W. S. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 21,657. It has two principal streets lined with substantial houses of limestone, with several fine churches, a town hall, theatre, numerous schools, assembly and reading rooms, a mechanics' institute, and a public garden. Earthenware, yellow ochre, cider, and fish are exported. It has grown up within 50 years from a fishing village, and owes its progress mainly to its fine climate, making it a desirable health resort. Tor bay is a large and well protected harbor. William of Orange landed here in 1688. In the vicinity are the ruins of Torquay abbey, founded in 1196. About a mile from the town is Kent's hole, or cavern, in which have been found bones of the elephant, rhinoceros, bear, hyaena, and other animals now extinct in England. It has been penetrated to the depth of 600 ft., and scientific explorations are still in progress.