See Brain, Diseases of the, vol. iii., p. 201.
Tubingen, a town of Wiirtemberg, in the circle of the Schwarzwald, on the left bank of the Neckar, 18 m. S. W. of Stuttgart; pop. in 1872, 9,313. It has two new suburbs, an old Stiftshirche and several other Protestant churches, and a Roman Catholic church. The university, founded in 1477, has been distinguished since the 16th century in Protestant theology and in philosophy, and especially in the present century through the new Tubingen school of theology founded by F. C. Baur. In 1876 it had seven faculties, with more than 80 professors and other teachers, nearly 900 students, and about 40 distinct institutions, including the library in the Hohentübingen palace, with 200,000 volumes and 2,000 manuscripts.
Tudela (Anc. Tutela), a city of Spain, in the province of Navarre, on the right bank of the Ebro at its junction with the Queiles and at the beginning of the Imperial canal, 156 m. N. E. of Madrid; pop. about 9,000. The Ebro is crossed here by a stone bridge with 17 arches. The Queiles passes through one of the principal squares, where bull fights take place; another square is surrounded by arcades. It has a highly ornamented cathedral, a medical college, and an orphan and foundling asylum. The exports include agricultural products, wool, oil, and wine resembling Burgundy. Few vestiges of the ancient fortifications remain. The Moors held the city from the 8th till early in the 12th century. The French under Lefebvre-Desnouettes were victorious here in June, 1808, and in November Lannes achieved a more decisive victory over Castanos in a battle fought chiefly on the heights above Tudela.
Tuesday, the third day of the week. In the Roman calendar it was called dies Martis, from Mars, and its present name is derived from Tiw, the Anglo-Saxon god of war.
See Calcaeeous Springs.
See Poe Bied.
A Central Government Of Russia, bordering on Moscow, Riazan, Tambov, Orel, and Kaluga; area, 11,955 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,167,878. The surface is generally flat. The most important rivers are the Oka, Upa, and Don, the two latter of which are connected by the Ivanovska canal, which forms part of the system that unites the Baltic, Black, and Caspian seas. The soil is fertile, and about two thirds of the surface is cultivated. Iron and woollen and linen goods are manufactured.
A City, capital of the government, on the Upa, 107 m. S. of Moscow; pop. in 1867, 58,150. It has an extensive cannon foundery and manufactory of arms, established by Peter the Great, and upward of 800 private firearms and cutlery workshops.
Tulare, a S. E. county of California, extending from the summit of the Sierra Nevada on the northeast to the summit of the Monte Diablo range on the southwest, and drained by Kern river and several streams that flow into Tulare lake; area, 5,600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,533, of whom 99 were Chinese. Tulare lake, over 30 m. long and about 20 m. wide, is in the S. W. part. Its valley is fertile. Some gold is found, but the mines are little developed. Agriculture and grazing are the chief pursuits. The Visalia division of the Central Pacific and the Tulare division of the Southern Pacific railroad traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 53,605 bushels of wheat, 9,750 of Indian corn, 85,110 of barley, 8,685 of potatoes, 660,645 lbs. of wool, 37,490 of butter, and 4,419 tons of hay. There were 4,590 horses, 36,167 cattle, 147,301 sheep, and 15,403 swine; 3 flour mills, and 3 saw mills. Capital, Visalia.