Tulle, a town of France, capital of the department of Corrèze, and formerly of Lower Limousin, at the junction of the Solane with the Corrèze, 115 m. E. 1ST. E. of Bordeaux; pop. in 1872, 11,848. It has fine quays and promenades, a suburb, many bridges, a cathedral remarkable for its tower, and a celebrated government factory of firearms. Among its manufactures are paper, playing cards, nails, leather, and coarse woollens; and it has a trade in horses, game, and neatsfoot oil.
Tultsha Anc. Aegissus (Tultcha Or), a town of Bulgaria, on the right bank of the Danube, 6 m. above the junction of its Sulina and St. George's arms, 12 m. S. S. W. of Ismail, and 45 m. W. of Sulina; pop. variously estimated between 13,000 and 20,000. It is a port of considerable commercial importance. The former fortress was damaged by the Russians in 1789 and 1791, and utterly destroyed in 1828, after which the present town was laid out. It was occupied by the Russians during the spring of 1854. Darius crossed the Danube in the vicinity of ancient Aegissus in his expedition against the Scythians.
Tunbridge Wells, a market town of Kent and Sussex, England, in a beautiful country, 15 m. S. W. of Maidstone; pop. in 1871,19,410. It is a fashionable watering place, and consists chiefly of clusters of houses on detached eminences, and of a parade paved with pantiles in antique style, and lined with fine trees on one side, and on the other with assembly rooms, libraries, and shops. The surrounding country abounds in mineral springs. The one to which the place owes its origin is a light pure chalybeate, and the water is considered remarkably efficacious in cases of weak digestion.
Tunbridge, Or Tonbridge, a market town of Kent, England, on the Tun, near its entrance into the Medway, 11 m. S. W. of Maidstone; pop. in 1871, 8,209. It consists for the most part of one long and well built street, and contains six churches, an endowed grammar school lately rebuilt, and several literary and charitable institutions. There are ruins of a gateway flanked by round towers, once belonging to the castle built by the first earl of Clare and Hertford in the 11th century. The refectory of a priory founded by the same earl is still standing. Tunbridge has manufactures of gunpowder and fancy wooden wares, and a considerable trade in coal and lumber.
Tunica, a N. W. county of Mississippi, bordering on the Mississippi river, which separates it from Arkansas, and intersected by the Coldwater river and other streams; area, 750 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,358, of whom 4,127 were colored. The surface is flat, and in many places swampy, and the soil fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 4,500 bushels of wheat, 2,000 of oats, 1,500 of barley, 82,155 of Indian corn, and 6,424 bales of cotton. There were 240 horses, 645 mules and asses, 413 milch cows, 1,409 other cattle, 33 sheep, and 1,812 swine. Capital, Austin.