Tuscola, an E. county of the S. peninsula of Michigan, bounded N. W. by Saginaw bay and intersected by the Cass river; area, about 850 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 13,714; in 1874,16,998. The surface is level, the soil productive, and timber is abundant. The Detroit and Bay City railroad traverses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 116,480 bushels of wheat, 82,880 of Indian corn, 84,475 of oats, 12,610 of peas and beans, 122,102 of potatoes, 40,635 lbs. of wool, 359,136 of butter, and 14,996 tons of hay. There were 2,163 horses, 3,333 milch cows, 4,861 other cattle, 9,428 sheep, and 3,713 swine; 2 flour mills, 1 tannery, 25 saw mills, and 1 woollen factory. Capital, Vassar.
Tuscumbia, a city and the capital of Colbert co., Alabama, on the Memphis and Charleston railroad, 2 m. S. of the Tennessee river, and about 180 m. N. N. W. of Montgomery; pop. in 1870, 1,214, of whom 450 were colored; in 1875, about 1,500. Steam navigation is interrupted at this point by Muscle shoals, around which a canal is in process of construction. Tuscumbia has a healthful and agreeable climate, and is situated in a very fertile region, with coal and iron near at hand. About the centre of the city is a large spring of pure water, giving rise to Spring creek, which flows into the Tennessee. There are two large flouring mills, to one of which a cotton gin is attached, a female seminary, a small academy, a weekly newspaper, and eight churches (five for white and three for colored people). Tuscumbia was first settled in 1816, and was incorporated under its present name in 1822. It suffered much during the civil war, but is beginning to recover.
See Samoan Islands.
Tuxpan, a town of Mexico, in the state and 145 m. N. W. of the city of Vera Cruz, on the river Tuxpan, 5 m. from the gulf of Mexico; pop. about 5,000. It is situated at the foot of several verdure-covered hills, with groves of mangoes, oranges, and palms in the vicinity. A surrounding tract of 400,000 acres, suitable for sugar, tobacco, and fruit plantations, belongs to a stock company. The commerce of Tuxpan is annually increasing; its most important trade is in cedar logs. In the year ending Sept. 30, 1874, 105 vessels arrived, and 109 cleared. The total imports were $71,876; exports, $175,329. A bar at the mouth of the river cannot be crossed by large vessels, but the river is navigable for small craft 60 m.
Tves Joseph De Kerguelen-Tremarec, a French navigator, born in Brittany in 1745, died in March, 1797. He early entered the navy, became a lieutenant in 1767, and received command of a frigate sent to protect the fisheries on the coasts of Iceland. Going to Norway for provisions, he sailed N., crossing the parallel of 69° on Aug. 17. In 1769 he had a like commission, and on his return related his adventures to Louis XV. In 1771 he was sent on a southern exploring expedition, and the following year discovered an antarctic territory which he called Kerguelen land. He revisited it in 1774, but was unable because of storms to explore it thoroughly, and on his return home he was accused of misconduct and imprisoned. He was soon released, and afterward served against England. He published accounts of his voyages.