Vaga Medway Fane, a river of England, which rises in the S. E. part of Surrey, traverses Kent, flowing mainly E. and N., and falls into the estuary of the Thames at Sheerness near its mouth. It is about 60 m. long and navigable to Penshurst, 40 m. In its lower course it expands into a broad, deep tidal inlet, and a little above its embouchure it sends off a navigable branch on the right called the East Swale, which cuts off from the mainland the isle of Sheppey. The Medway is one of the most important havens for the British navy, and on its banks are two large government dockyards, Sheerness and Chatham. Ships of the line can anchor in the channel as far up as Maidstone.
Vagrant (Lat. Vagari To Wander), in law, sometimes defined as one who has no settled home, but more properly one who wanders about without any settled home, refuses to work, and has no means of subsistence. The law looks upon vagrancy as an offence, not for its moral wrong nor for the harm it does to the man himself, but for its injury to society, and the demand it makes upon the means of society for the subsistence of the vagrant. If one having a settled home, without means of subsistence, requires help, he is a pauper, and not a vagrant; that is, he is entilled to aid, but is not an offender. Neither is one a vagrant who, having means of his own, leads a life of idle wandering, but makes no call upon the public means, and inflicts no direct injury upon the public welfare. Vagrancy has been a statutory offence from a very early day, and it was probably an offence at the common law.
See Melendez Valdez.
Valence (Anc. Valentia), a town of France, in Dauphiny, capital of the department of Drome, on the left bank of the Rhone, which is here spanned by an unusually fine suspension bridge, 57 m. S. of Lyons; pop. in 1872, 20,668. The streets are narrow, and old walls surround the town; but there are attractive squares and promenades. It is a bishop's see, and has a cathedral founded in 212 by St. Apollinaris, with a tower rebuilt in 1862, and with Canova's monument of Pope Pius VI, who died here. Connected with the artillery school is a large area for practice. The former citadel is now a barrack for engineers. Silk and cotton goods, gloves, glass ware, and other articles are manufactured. There is much trade in the sparkling St. Peray wine, almost equal to Champagne, and in timber, grained leather, cloth, etc. - The town was a colony in Gallia Narbonensis, and in the middle ages was the capital of the county and duchy of Valentinois.
Valencia, a central county of New Mexico, divided into two parts by the S. projection of San Miguel co.; area, about 10,500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,093. The E. part borders on Texas, and is intersected in the S. W. corner by the Rio Pecos. The W. part, bordering on Arizona, is intersected near the centre by the Rio Grande, and watered by its tributary the Puerco, and by the Zufli, one of the head streams of the Colorado Chiquito, and is crossed by several mountain chains. The chief productions in 1870 were 39,438 bushels of wheat, 77,854 of Indian corn, 5,755 of peas and beans, 6,178 lbs. of tobacco, and 72,840 of wool. There were 456 horses, 622 mules and asses, 1,264 milch cows, 3,329 working oxen, 48,610 sheep, and 795 swine. Capital, Valencia.