Weier's C1ve, a stalactite cavern in the 1ST. E. part of Augusta co., Va., about 18 m. E. by N. of Staunton, ranking next to Mammoth and Wyandotte among similar caves in the United States. It derives its name from Bernard Weyer, who discovered it while hunting about 1804. It is situated in a spur of a range of small mountains that branches out S. W. from the Blue Ridge. The entrance, having been enlarged, is about 7 ft. in height. The cave contains a number of apartments, beautifully adorned with stalactites and stalagmites and other objects of interest. Washington's hall, the largest chamber, is upward of 90 ft. high and 250 ft. long. Within a few hundred yards is Madison's cave, of inferior interest.
Weissenburg, Or Kronweissenbnrg (Fr. Wissembourg), a town of Alsace, Germany, formerly a strongly fortified place in the French department of Bas-Rhin, on the Lauter, 32 m. N. N. E. of Strasburg; pop. in 1871, 6,886. It has several churches and schools and various manufactories. On Aug. 4, 1870, it was taken by the Germans under the crown prince of Prussia, after a victory over a division of MacMahon's army commanded by Gen. Abel Douay, who fell in the action; and subsequently the fortifications were razed.
Weissenfels, a town of Prussia, in the province of Saxony, on the right bank of the Saale, 19 m. S. by W. of Halle; pop. in 1871, 15,443. It has two churches, a normal school, a deaf and dumb asylum, and manufactories of porcelain, merinoes, and other articles. In the adjoining castle of Augustusburg are the barracks. From 1657 to 1746 the town was the capital of an independent duchy, Saxe-Weissenfels, a branch of the Saxon electorate.
Wells, a N. E. county of Indiana, intersected by the Wabash river; area, 372 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 13,585. It has a rolling surface, and the soil is very fertile. There is an abundance of excellent timber. It is intersected by the Fort Wayne, Muncie, and Cincinnati railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 238,000 bushels of wheat, 177,630 of Indian corn, 82,524 of oats, 27,758 of potatoes, 360,709 lbs. of butter, 19,365 of cheese, 63,336 of wool, and 12,413 tons of hay. There were 5,206 horses, 4,643 milch cows, 5,106 other cattle, 21,723 sheep, and 15,470 swine; 9 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 3 planing mills, and 28 saw mills. Capital, Bluffton.
Welland, a river of Ontario, Canada, which flows generally E. for about 60 m. to the Niagara river above the falls. It is worthy of notice as constituting part of the Welland canal, which forms a navigable connection for vessels of 500 tons between Lakes Erie and Ontario. (See Canal, vol. iii., p. 687).
Welland, a S. county of Ontario, Canada, bounded E. by Niagara river and S. by Lake Erie; area, 395 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 25,760, of whom 7,995 were of German, 7,863 of English, 5,765 of Irish, and 2,538 of Scotch origin or descent. It is drained by the Welland river, and is traversed by the Welland canal and several railroads. The surface is mostly level and the soil adapted to wheat. Capital, Welland.