Whitesides, a N. W. county of Illinois, separated from Iowa by the Mississippi river and intersected by Rock river; area, 730 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 27,503. The surface is level and diversified by prairies and woodland, and the soil is very fertile. It is intersected by the Chicago and Northwestern and the Rockford, Rock Island, and St. Louis railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 457,719 bushels of wheat, 31,658 of rye, 2,162,943 of Indian corn, 880,838 of oats, 89,078 of barley, 219,476 of potatoes, 732,591 lbs. of butter, 63,381 of cheese, 40,660 of wool, and 54,833 tons of hay. There were 14,944 horses, 13,129 milch cows, 22,143 other cattle, 11,168 sheep, and 37,765 swine; 2 manufactories of agricultural implements, 21 of carriages and wagons, 10 of furniture, 2 of gloves and mittens, 1 of wrapping paper, 1 of woollens, 11 flour mills, 1 distillery, 2 breweries, 2 planing mills, and 6 saw mills. Capital, Morrison.
See Tulip Tree.
Whitfield, a N. W. county of Georgia, bordering on Tennessee and bounded E. by the Conasauga river; area, 286 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,117, of whom 1,511 were colored. The county is mountainous, but contains fertile valleys. It is traversed by the Selma, Rome, and Dalton, the Western and Atlantic, and the East Tennessee, Virginia, and Georgia railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 48,860 bushels of wheat, 135,007 of Indian corn, 33,120 of oats, 3,851 of Irish and 10,563 of sweet potatoes, 7,211 lbs. of wool, 97,510 of butter, and 763 tons of hay. There were 974 horses, 1,569 milch cows, 2,446 other cattle, 4,350 sheep, and 7,439 swine; 5 flour mills, 6 tanneries, 6 currying establishments, and 4 saw mills. Capital, Dalton.
Whitman, a S. E. county of Washington territory, bounded E. by Idaho, S. by Snake river, and W. by the Columbia; area, about 3,000 sq. m. It has been formed since 1870 from the S. portion of Stevens co., and is intersected by the Palouse river. Capital, Colfax.
An Unorganized N". W. County Of Texas, bounded N". by Red river and drained by the Wichita and other streams; area, 655 sq. m.; returned as having no population in 1870. It has a diversified surface, and is partly covered by dense forests. H. An unorganized W. county of Kansas; area, 720 sq. m. It is watered by affluents of the Arkansas and Smoky Hill rivers, and has a level or slightly rolling surface.
A S. E. County Of Ireland, in the province of Leinster, bordering on Dublin, St. George's channel, Wexford, Carlow, and Kildare; area, 782 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 78,509. The coast is generally rocky and precipitous. The chief rivers are the Slaney, Vartrey, and Ovoca or Avoca. The county is mountainous, Lugnaquilla, the highest peak, being 3,039 ft. above the sea. Gold and silver are found in small quantities, and also iron, lead, zinc, copper, tin, manganese, arsenic, antimony, and pyrites. The soil is moderately productive. The principal towns, besides the capital, are Bray and Arklow.
A Seaport, capital of the county, on the right bank of the estuary of the river Vartrey, 22 m. S. S. E. of Dublin; pop. in 1871, 3,164. Vessels drawing 8 or 9 ft. enter the harbor, and the town exports grain, and copper and lead ores.