Witten, a town of Prussia, in Westphalia, on the Ruhr, 32 m. W. by N. of Arnsberg; pop. in 1871, 15,160. The population in 1843 was only 3,444, the increase being due to the development of manufactures, chiefly in glass, iron, and steel. There are large coal mines in the vicinity.
Wladimir Guettee, a French historian, born in Blois about 1815. He took orders, and was for several years a parish priest. After the revolution of 1848 he edited at Blois a journal entitled La Democratic. Subsequently he went to Paris, where he became chaplain in several hospitals, but was removed on account of his Jansenist opinions. He contributed largely to the Ouservateur Catliolique, the leading organ of the Gallican church. His principal works are: Histoire de l'Eglise de France (12 vols., 1847-'57); Jansenisme et jesuitisme (1857); Histoire des jesuites (4 vols. 8vo, 1858-'72); Papaute temporelle condamnee par le pape St. Gregoire le Grand (1861); Refutation de la pretendue Vie de Jesus de M. Renan (1864); De l'Encyclique du 8 decembre, 1864 (1865); and Exposition de la doctrine de l'Eglise or-thodoxe et des autres Eglises chretiennes (1868).
Wllhelm Marstrand, a Danish painter, hern in Copenhagen, Dec. 24, 1810, died there, March 25, 1873. He studied at the academies of Copenhagen and Munich and in Rome. His "Return of a Society from a Popular Festival" made him famous as a genre painter; and his reputation was increased by his "Parlor," "Political Gossipper," "Erasmus Montanu and other pictures after the manner of Holbein. He was a professor at the academy of Copenhagen for more than 20 years, and' its director for six years.
Wolfe, an E. county of Kentucky, bounded S. by the N. fork of Kentucky river and drained by Red river, one of its tributaries; area, about 170 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,603, of whom 28 were colored. The surface is generally hilly and broken; the soil in parts is fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 4,145 bushels of wheat, 106,152 of Indian corn, 15,734 of oats, 72,121 lbs. of butter, and 452 tons of hay. There were 629 horses, 860 milch cows, 1,401 other cattle, 3,874 sheep, and 3,419 swine. Capital, Campton.
Wolfe, a S. county of Quebec, Canada; area, 665 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 8,823, of whom 7,504 were of French, 748 of English, and 458 of Irish origin or descent. It is drained by the St. Francis river and other streams. Capital, Dudswell.
WolfenbüItel, a city of Germany, in the duchy of Brunswick, formerly the residence of the dukes, on the Ocker, 8 m. S. of Brunswick; pop. in 1871, 10,457. It is in a marshy region, and has a citadel, four churches, and a library of 200,000 volumes. Lessing, when librarian there, edited a manuscript belonging to it, the "Wolfenbüttel Fragments," against the supernatural origin of Christianity, which was proved to have been written by Reimarus. (See Brunswick, and Brunswick, House of).