The chief river is the "White Köros, a tributary of the Theiss. The principal occupations are mining and the raising of cattle. Capital, Koros-Banya.
Zavala, a S. W. county of Texas, drained by the Nueces river and the Rio Leona; area, 1,005 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 133, of whom 4 were colored. The surface is level. It is devoted to stock raising, and has little land suitable for cultivation. Timber and water are scarce. It is unorganized. In 1870 there were 38 horses, 3,893 cattle, and 270 swine.
Zea, Or Tzia (Anc. Ceos), an island of Greece, one of the Cyclades, about 15 m. E. of the S. E. extremity of Attica; area, about 70 sq. m.; pop. about 4,000. Mount St. Elias rises in its centre, and at its W. foot is the town of Zea.
Zealand, Or Zeeland, a S. W. province of the Netherlands, lying in and around the delta of the Scheldt, bordering on South Holland, North Brabant, Belgium, and the North sea; area, 680 sq. m.; pop. in 1874, 184,215. Besides the mainland S. of the West Scheldt, Zealand comprises the islands of Walcheren, North and South Beveland, Tholen, Duiveland, and Schouwen. The surface is but little above the sea level, but is protected by dikes. The soil is fertile; its healthfulness has been improved by the draining and filling up of the marshes, and large tracts of land have been reclaimed from the sea. Zealand produces madder, hemp, cattle, and sheep, and has linen and other manufactories, salt refineries, and ship yards, and a considerable export trade. The largest towns are Middelburg, the capital, and Flushing.
See Hebrews, vol. viii., p. 589.
Zeilah, Or Zaylah, an Egyptian seaport, on the gulf of Aden, in the Somauli country, about 100 m. S. of the strait of Bab-el-Mandeb; pop. about 5,000. It is the only port on that part of the coast, and is the outlet of an extensive interior region, the chief place of which is Harar, a large walled town eight days1 journey to the southwest. Zeilah is built on a low sandy point, and is surrounded by a mud wall. The anchorage in the harbor is shallow, and large vessels cannot approach within a mile of the landing. There is a considerable trade with Arabian ports, the chief exports being ivory, myrrh, ostrich feathers, and gums. This port, the last foothold of Turkey on the African coast of the Red sea, was ceded to Egypt by the sultan in July, 1875, in consideration of £15,000 additional tribute.
A Town Of Prussia Zeitz, in the province of Saxony, on the White Elster, 23 m. S. S. W. of Leipsic; pop. in 1871, 15,417. From 1663 to 1717 it was the capital of the sovereign duchy of Saxe-Zeitz. The ducal residence is now a penitentiary. The town has a gymnasium and an industrial school. Cotton and woollen cloths, pianos, and leather are manufactured in increasing quantities. There are large coal mines in the vicinity.