A Ian or district of Sweden, province of Gothland, bounded N. W. and N. by Ostergothland, E. by the Baltic and Calmar sound, S. by the Ian of Blekinge, and W. by Kronoberg and Jonkoping; area, 4,480 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 234,597. The coast is much indented and very rocky, especially in the north, where there are numerous islands. The country is full of lakes, and, although nowhere very mountainous, in the north is hilly and rocky. The only river of importance is the Em An. There are large forests of beech and pine timber, and the fisheries of the coast are very productive. II. The capital of the district, situated on the Calmar sound, opposite the island of Oland, 190 m. S. S. W. of Stockholm; lat. 56° 40' N., Ion. 16° 20'E.; pop. in 1869, 9,421. It is built partly on a small island and partly on the mainland, the two parts being connected by a bridge of boats. The houses are nearly all of wood, though the cathedral, castle, and a few other public buildings, are of stone. The cathedral, a handsome edifice, stands in the great square. The castle, on the mainland, in which the treaty was signed in 1397 which united the kingdoms of Sweden, Denmark, and Norway under Margaret of Denmark, is now used as a house of correction. The harbor is good, and the commerce considerable.

The exports are iron, alum, timber, pitch, tar, and stone from the island of Oland. Sugar, snuff, tobacco, potash, and woollen goods are the chief manufactures.