A city and'the capital of Camden county, N. J.; pop. in 1870, 20,045. It is built on a plain on the left bank of the Delaware, immediately opposite the city of Philadelphia, with which it is connected by four ferries. The streets are regular, and intersect one another at right angles. There are many fine buildings; the principal public edifices are a court house and jail, and the railroad depots. There are several iron founde-ries, chemical and glass works, and some other manufactories. In 1871 there were 12 public schools with 8 male and 59 female teachers, and 1,450 male and 1,550 female pupils. There are three weekly newspapers. The city was chartered in 1831. It is the terminus of the Camden and Amboy, the West Jersey, and the Camden and Atlantic railroads. II. The capital of Kershaw county, S. C, 102 m. N. N. W. of Charleston; pop. in 1870, 1,007, of whom 555 were colored. It is situated in a fertile and productive region, on the E. bank of the Wate-ree river, which is navigable to this point by steamboats, and is crossed by a bridge near the town. It is the terminus of the Camden branch of the South Carolina railroad, and contains an arsenal, academy, factory, bank, 4 churches, and a weekly newspaper.

A battle was fought here, Aug. 16, 1780, between Gates and Corn-wallis, in which the former was routed and De Kalb mortally wounded; and another, known as the engagement of Hobkirk's Hill, April 25, 1781, between Greene and Rawdon, the latter of whom kept the field. A monument to De Kalb was erected in 1825, of which Lafayette laid the.corner stone. Two Indian mounds exist near the town. III. The capital of Wilcox county, Ala., 33 m. S. W. of Selma; pop. in 1870, 3,060, of whom 2,225 were colored. It stands on a healthy eminence, about 4 m. from the Alabama river, and is the centre of an active trade. A weekly newspaper is published here. IV. The capital of Washita county, Ark., 82 m. S. S. W. of Little Rock; pop. in 1870, 1,612, of whom 612 were colored. It stands on a declivity of a range of hills, on the right bank of the Washita river, at the head of navigation for large steamers, and possesses great advantages for trade. It was formerly a rendezvous for hunters, known as Ecore d Fabre. It was settled in 1842, on the site of a dense forest.

One daily and three weekly newspapers are published here.