Camerino (anc. Camerinum), a town of Italy, capital of a district in the province of Ma-cerata, 40 m. S. W. of Ancona; pop. about 12,000. The finest public buildings are the episcopal palace, the cathedral, and the church of Omanzia, with pictures by eminent masters. In the principal square is a statue of Pope Six-tus V. A university was founded here in the early part of the 18th century, and there are many monasteries and a seminary. Silk is the chief article of manufacture. - The ancient Um-brian city of Camerinum (originally Camers) was a place of importance during the earlier periods of Roman history. In the middle ages Camerino formed part of the duchy of Spoleto. In the 13th century it was ruled by the Varano family, a member of which became duke of Camerino in 1520. Ottavio Farnese obtained supreme power in 1539, and subsequently, when he was made duke of Parma, Camerino became part of the Papal States, and capital of a legation till its incorporation with the kingdom of Italy in 1860.